• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord is Filing CH 7 Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnbelievablyMe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

The last "lease" I signed (which was nothing more than a photo copy of the original one I signed the first year) is ending this month. When I originally moved in I paid first, last, and security deposits as well as the rent up front for the first entire year.

What will happen to me as a renter when her bankruptcy is final? Will I be expected to immediately move?

I did stop my direct deposits in to her bank account once I received the letter that they filed Chapter 7 - is that a good or bad thing?

Do I get my security deposit back or am I screwed over this as well?

Thanks for any info given.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

How were you made aware of LLs BK filing? Im not going to say holding back your rent was the right thing to do here because the LL could still evict based on non payment.

UnbelievablyMe

Form 9A

I received a Form 9A (from the Bankruptcy Court) giving me all of the information regarding meeting of creditors, deadlines, etc. Actually, today is the meeting of the creditors but I cannot attend due to location and work schedule.

FarmerJ

By failing to go to it Ill lay odds you have forfeited any claim you would have had for the deposit to not be included , if you had gone you would have been able to voice yourself and request that the LL not be allowed to include the deposit since it was not general debt but a rental deposit. ( hard to say what the trustee would have done but you could have atleast tried) Did you even contact the BK trustee ? to attempt to address it over the phone or via certified mail ?

UnbelievablyMe

Getting different info...

Well, I suppose I'll follow the advice given to me from other sources than here as I'm being told that you do NOT have to attend the meeting of the creditors and it even says so on the Form 9A. Also, have been told I have 30 days to file a claim for the return of my deposit with the Bankruptcy Court.

Thank you for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">