• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Forged New Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

007bebe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I co-signed for my sister's apt for the past 3 years. Her lease expired the end of May 2010. I refused to renew her lease as a co-signer. She was unable to secure another co-signer. So, the leasing office let her rent month-to-month until she was evicted for non-payment in October 2010.

She just moved out of the apartment on November 1, 2010. I received a call today from the leasing office saying that as the co-signer of this apt I need to pay the remaining balance on her account (past due balance, court costs, fines, etc). I told them that my financial obligation for this apt ended when her lease ended back in May 2010.

They said that my sister and I came in on April 30, 2010 to renew her lease from June 1, 2010 to May 31, 2011. She said they have a signed lease with these dates in their possession. Uhh! We never signed a lease.

The leasing office forged a new lease by God knows whatever means to try & recoup their money from me because my sister won't pay.

Help, dishonest & shady mgmt out to ruin my credit.

Not sure what the best cost-effective solution is...

strongbus

question for you are you sure that it was the office that forged it or did your sister bring someone elase in to the office who signed your name?

other then that demand to know the day of the month that the new lease was signed and get proof you where some where elase such as work(if you use a punch clock of sorts can try and get records of it or if work has video maybe the video of that day showing you where at work.)

csi7

Not sure whether the landlord gets identification verification of signatures at time of renewal of lease.

The co-signer agreements i have used say they are in place throughout the tenancy . This would mean you are responsible for the rental until your sister moves out. However your agreement could be different. You need to get a copy and go over it carefully.

007bebe

Sorry long rant

Thank you for all of your replies.

What's crazy about this is the mgmt company swears that they don't do month to month leases. There are so many people in that office. The lady my sister spoke to fixed her account so that she was able to keep paying her rent each month. It went unnoticed that she was oops not under a current lease and that my financial responsibility for the apt had ended.

When she was evicted and went through all of the court preceedings. I went up to the office and asked about the status of her account. I was told several times by different employees there that I had no financial obligation to my sister's lease because they had mistakenly let her lease expire. Unfortunately, I didn't get anything in writing. I also moved November 1st. So, I was too distracted and busy to think fast and get a letter from them stating all of this. I also was never notified about her eviction or past due balance until now. After the fact, now that they know that my sister doesn't intend on paying them.

The lady my sister spoke to was later fired. There is never the same person in the office twice. When I told the corporate leasing agent that called that we never signed a new lease she refused to believe that it was doctored stating "well it looks like the same signatures." I know for a fact that they just changed the dates on the lease and made a copy of our signatures. They would not be able to furnish original documents, but I fear that they would just furnish the original lease we signed as proof of the new lease they claimed that we signed. So, I would need them to show me original leasing documents for her entire stay there to ensure that they don't try to switch the originals.

What is also funny is that they claimed we came in to sign her new lease over a month early. That is out of character for the both of us. I also lived there for 6 years and I never renewed my lease early. They just picked some random dates out of the sky. They have video footage in their offices, but would it be too much to ask that they furnish video proof that we were there? They also document who the leasing agent that renewed us would be. I need to find out who this is because more than likely this is the person that forged the new lease or the fall guy for someone that did. Although I doubt she can be found like many of the employees over there.

That's why this new lease appeared out of the blue to cover their butts when we both left this month. There was never a lease in place before now. I need to know what my rights are and possibly get representation quick because the lady on the phone said that I need to pay them now or they'll ruin my credit. They're making threats out of desperation because they know their lies are held together by threads. I doubt they'll be cooperative in all of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">