• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/funace responsibility!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctgilbert76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PA. I live in a 3 bedroom/half double house in Franklin county, Pa. The house has an oil furnace boiler that is as old as the house(1940's). The attic is not insulated. The problem is that my oil usage so far this year since September is around 300+ gallons at $2.41/gallon. It has not been very cold so far this year and I keep my heat set at 66F. I talked to my landlord about this and he basically told me to buy some electric heaters and turn the thermostat way down. I have asked other people that I know about their oil consumption and they all told me that this is extremely high usage. I also have lived in homes with oil heat before and none have come even close to that. I guess the question that I am asking is, is my landlord responsible for this unreasonable cost or am I stuck dealing with it? Should I start looking for a new place and is this something that will allow me to break my lease if I decide to move? Should he get the furnace checked or do I have to live in the cold? I wouldnt care if it was just me but I have 2 young children to worry about.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FarmerJ

First step is to contact your city /county zoning desk or building inspections and ask them if there are any ordinances that spell out what insulation requirements there are for homes , SOME places really have written ords saying attics / or so called roofed areas must be insulated and even state how much and date ord took effect. They may also have local ords addressing weather stripping or that doors and windows shall be draft free or something like that. Anyway its a good place to start. If you learn there is a ord requiring attic space insulation check with your city /county to see if there are programs to assist LLs with insulating. if there are include the info write your LL a letter sent via confirmed mail delivery and inc a copy of the ord. If the LL doesnt make a reasonable effort to get it insulated then call in inspections , they will write a order requiring the LL to do it. Dont expect a lease renewal.

Searchertwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PA. I live in a 3 bedroom/half double house in Franklin county, Pa. The house has an oil furnace boiler that is as old as the house(1940's). The attic is not insulated. The problem is that my oil usage so far this year since September is around 300+ gallons at $2.41/gallon. It has not been very cold so far this year and I keep my heat set at 66F. I talked to my landlord about this and he basically told me to buy some electric heaters and turn the thermostat way down. I have asked other people that I know about their oil consumption and they all told me that this is extremely high usage. I also have lived in homes with oil heat before and none have come even close to that. I guess the question that I am asking is, is my landlord responsible for this unreasonable cost or am I stuck dealing with it? Should I start looking for a new place and is this something that will allow me to break my lease if I decide to move? Should he get the furnace checked or do I have to live in the cold? I wouldnt care if it was just me but I have 2 young children to worry about.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
As indicated, check local ordinances for insulation..and ask LL to meet requirement with a certified letter. You do not have a reason to break the lease, the furnace DOES WORK providing heat, how much you use and cost is your ball park not the LL. If there is a code for insulation, some places does not, you will need to hive him time to install..but still no guarantee that this will solve the high oil bill...Using the "children" as a ploy for sympathy will not help with the matter..if you are that worry, get electric heater, use the oil, pay the bill, get electric blankets, put plastic around windows, etc...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">