• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord gave me a 30 day notice before I even moved in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aim9000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I answered an ad for a furnished room for rent. The lady offered me the room, I brought over first month's rent and security deposit in cash. She gave me a key and asked me when I wanted to move in, I said that night (since it was the 1st). She said okay, great!

No rental agreement. Just a month to month verbal agreement.

I went to work, came back that evening to move in, and she tells me she needed to verify my employment but couldn't reach my supervisor. She got angry, accused me of lying, etc. This goes on for a while, but since it was 10pm she told me she would allow me to sleep there, but that I could NOT move in. She forbade me from bringing anything in from my car. It was late, I was tired so I slept in my clothes and left the next morning at 6am (which was yesterday).

She called my brother, ranted to him that she couldn't reach my supervisor ... she was angry. He said she was nuts. So I left a message, that maybe we should just forget this whole thing. I would return her key if she returned my money (less one night prorated for the night I slept there on 12/1). This was yesterday morning.

No reply from her. I texted, I emailed, I called-all day and all evening, no reply from her. I went to her house last night, tried to open the door with my key, but she had other locks on the door and I couldn't get in. I knocked. I heard the TV, saw her legs (through the blinds) as she got up off the couch and walked into the kitchen and stayed there. I thought about calling the cops, but it was late and windy and freezing. I just got a hotel room, and sent her an email asking her what was going on, why she didn't just answer the door, why was I locked out. That I gave her $1,000 in cash and that avoiding me was not going to make me just go away. Again I suggested we just part ways, return keys/money. It was only the 2nd, she could give the room to one of the other people who wanted it.

This morning she sent me an email:

You have rented a furnished room and will be out by 12/31 at midnight, for I am giving you notice you will not be renewed. You have received your key and you have insisted on sleeping in the house even though you lied on your application (there was no application). You have not been locked out - that is a lie. I will charge you for disturbing me from now on (I guess for knocking on the front door?). Please lock the deadbolt when you are inside the house only (how else, I don't have a key for it). If you persist I will call the police and have you arrested for disturbing the peace! Please do not disturb me again!! If you wish to speak with me, make an appt (but I have to walk past her to get to my room). I will report you to the police for lying also, if you do it again!

Is there any way for me to get out of this legally? I don't want to live there after her crazy irate email. At this point, I am worried about my personal property if I move it in there. I'm also worried about my security deposit. She's the kind of nutcase that would accuse me of something or damage something herself in order to keep it. I really don't trust her.

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Rather than staying there if she wont let you in then call the police and report that you have been locked out by your landlord. then go sue her for full refund in small claims court!

Aim9000

Rather than staying there if she wont let you in then call the police and report that you have been locked out by your landlord. then go sue her for full refund in small claims court!
She will let me in now. The minute I accused her of locking me out, she sent her angry email. Problem is, I don't trust her with my belongings or security deposit. Not sure how to protect myself if I have to move in there. And what a terrible atmosphere to have to live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">