• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord gave out personal information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

psqured

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I complained about a noisy neighbor recently and my landlord called the neighbor regarding the complaint. Because I can hear everything my neighbor screams into the phone, it came to my attention that the landlord told my neighbor that I had lived in a rented house prior to moving into my current apartment building. Although I probably couldn't prove it in court because I overheard the conversation without witnesses, isn't my landlord in violation of some law by giving out information like that. It is my opinion that the landlord has no right to let me neighbor know what my previous living situation was.

Hot Topic

The only thing that might be actionable would be if the landlord claimed that you were always complaining about tenants making noise and that some had moved because of you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only thing that might be actionable would be if the landlord claimed that you were always complaining about tenants making noise and that some had moved because of you.
And how would even THAT be actionable?

Cvillecpm

You have no damages and if the comment is TRUE, your landlord was attempting to mitigate the noise to you by advising upstairs resident that you may be unfamiliar with COMMUNAL living along with his request to lower voices/noise, etc.

Frankly, you should have addressed noise level DIRECTLY with resident.

psqured

You have no damages and if the comment is TRUE, your landlord was attempting to mitigate the noise to you by advising upstairs resident that you may be unfamiliar with COMMUNAL living along with his request to lower voices/noise, etc.

Frankly, you should have addressed noise level DIRECTLY with resident.
I did. I am familiar with COMMUNAL living. I have lived in apartment building before. It is just that my last living situation wasn't.

I also thought that information on your application is to be kept confidential.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

OP wrote..."I am familiar with COMMUNAL living. I have lived in apartment building before....." * then why didn't you handle noise volumn DIRECTLY with the neighbor FIRST rather than tattling to the landlord....very childish not to act like an adult with F2F with neighbor over the situation....information on your application is NOT private - why would you even think that.

Alaska landlord

Your landlord was taking care of the problem just like you asked him to do. Apartments are noisy in general and tenants can be inconsiderate. That is something you will have to get used to. I think he acted properly and no confidential information was mishandled. This may not be what you want to hear, but you can call an attorney and get the same answer. This is really kind of trivial and not worth even discussing.

aabbcc

It appears you are giving out information about your landlord. You could be in violation of the same imaginary law.

Hot Topic

It's hardly "tattling" to a landlord to bring a problem to their attention, but you have to pick your "battles" carefully. Dealing with noise problems has to be done in the right way, which is to write a polite letter, which you keep a copy of, to the tenant. If it doesn't work, or the tenant appears to retaliate, then you contact the landlord. Ours was less concerned with a problem one tenant had with noise made by another than the fact that she considered the note left the tenant about it to be disrespectful. And she told us all so.

Are you complaining about what your noisy neighbor was told because you're afraid that the landlord will divulge important information about you? As the saying goes, "Don't scream until you're hit."

Since you couldn't possibly hear the LL's side of that conversation, you cannot prove the LL ever said this. The other tenant could have easily pulled your name up on zabasearch, found your old address, plugged it into the county auditor site, and found you never owned that house, thus a rental. (And some rental houses are listed as such on county databases in certain states). Without proof, you have no damages. BTW - How does this damage you? You'd have to be able to prove some such damage to a court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">