• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blewfire4

Pennsylvania.

In October someone stole the license plate off my car while it was parked in my private parking space behind my house. I pay $25 extra per month in addition to my rent in order to park my car in the space. Since i could not afford to replace the license plate at the time, I left the car sitting over winter since it is easier for me to walk to my destinations. at the end of winter, i tried to get the car started but with no luck. I have contacted a few places to donate the car and I am waiting for a response. in the meantime my landlord has been emailing me constantly telling me that i need to move my car because it is not currently inspected. she said that she was worried about the city ticketing the car. i verified with the local police that they are unable to ticket any cars on private property. My landlord even enforced a deadline on me. Of course i didn't move my car by that deadline. she then changed her tone to say that regardless of the city's rules, she has rules. I told her that i should be allowed to park my car there without harassment.
i think this has something to do with a neighbor who reports on her properties every two weeks spying on me. the neighbors husband wanted to buy my car for $100 and i refused to sell it to him. I am afraid that she will try to have my car towed and cause me to be responsible for the damages.
what can i do to get her to stop harassing me?

treese

Inoperable vehicles are “abandoned” according to state law, and are therefore subject to towing. (Section 7301 7312 of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code)

Vehicle code defines “abandoned vehicles” as any of the following:

Vehicle does not have all of the following: current registration plates, valid inspection (and emissions if applicable) stickers, ascertainable vehicle identification number and is left on a public street, highway or alleyway for more than 48 hours.

Vehicle has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property for more than 48 hours.

Private Property: Not Posted with Tow Away Notice
If vehicle is parked on private property without the owners permission; the following applies:
Property owner signs release for police to enforce law
Police place red sticker on vehicle giving owner 7 days to remove
Letter is sent to owner advising of violation
After seven days, state salvor tows vehicle; owner is charged for towing, storage, $50 state fee and $500 citation violation.

Private Property: Posted with Tow Away Notice
Unauthorized parked cars may be ticketed and towed immediately upon notification of the police by the property owner, if so posted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">