• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Confuzed80

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

This is a conclusion to my previous post. Ill be more specific now.. Tuesday of last week, out of the blue, my landlord left 2 very mean, very unprofessional voicemails basically saying "you are geat people but you do have to move out in 30 days". On Wednesday of last week my neighbor/friend said that my land lord had called her up and said that Im an awful person, she doesnt trust me, I have ruined her house and I have smeared her name all over town with lies. After I heard that I called up my LL and she was very fast and cold with me, I wasnt even being immature by bringin up the fact shye called up my friend. She just said this isnt working you owe me 1800 dollars my May first and I want you out of their. I couldnt respond because she hung up.
I gave myself some time because I was in tears and thought it better for us both to cool off. I called later that evening and left a message asking her to please call me, Im sorry for this misunderstanding but Im sure we can work this out. I also said that she knew that I was paid up because I have driven to her house every 2 weeks like I promises to pay her.
TThursday I got a postcard in the mail saying I was now to be out of the house by May 1st and she has gone over everything with her attorney. So I called her and she picked up. She said I was a terrible person, she cant afford to "carry" people like us because her husband is out of work. I had no right going thru her mothers belongings (which were takin up 3/4 the basement and nik naks, pictures, dishes, electric wheel chair, clocks ets are all upstairs). I said I just moved them to make room for my things and that she had promised to have them out within a week of me movin in and since she didnt do that I had to put some of my stuff in storage. She said "great, less **** for you to move from my house. Enuf of this, your outta my house by May first, no exceptions" and Then she hung up. I was hysterical, so my son helped me find RI tenant rights on line and I saw all of these things she was doing illegally. So Friday I called her and said that even tho we have a month to month lease I legally had atleast 30 days and she had to sent me the appropriate letter and if this was bcause of money or me breaking rules that she could get the courts involved. She yelled a lot of things I couldnt make out and said my lawyer is right beside me and u have 5 days to get out or else.

That is the last time I have talked to her... What should I do? I cant move out by Wednesday, I have no place to go and me and my husband are both disabled so the actual moving of stuff is impossible without lots of help by wednesday.

Any help would be great? And I have read a few of these forums and sum people get really mean while respomding, please dont do that here, I allready upset enough. Thank you

BL

sorry yesterday was my 1st time but thanks****************************... ur kinda confrontational arent u?
You have to understand that we are volunteers .

We take the time to read numerous post by numerous posters .

In order to get accurate advice on the same subject a poster needs to keep to their original thread if possible on that same subject .

We volunteers do not like to go fishing for past/continued post , and many will not .

So , go to your original thread , hit reply and copy and paste there , then you have the power to delete this one . Please do .

Cvillecpm

Reading between the lines - I think you are deliquent in your agreed rent and that she has an attorney waiting to pounce if you are not out.

You should NOT have moved items in the house that belonged to HER or HER mother WITHOUT her permission...

You should COOL down, stop calling her and wait for a written notice from her or her attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">