• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ratched

I live in California in a small college town, and am a woman in her twenties. I have lived and rented with the same roommate for the last year. She is also my landlord. While we didn't see each other much she began confiding in me a lot and in December of 2009 made a sexual overture towards me. I told her it made me uncomfortable, that it was unrequited, and she apologized. There has been no similar incident since until recently.

I have had difficulties finding another rental property for next year, and renewed my lease at the last minute. Since then, the harassment has begun again - part of me thinks I'm overreacting, but she says inappropriate things, makes sexually explicit jokes, etc.

This woman considers me a friend, which is why she thinks this behavior is okay. However, because she is also my landlord it makes me uncomfortable. I am trying to get out of my lease agreement, but am wondering to what extent I could use her behavior as citation for breaking the lease.

Thanks for any response you can give. I believe that moving would be the best thing for me at this point if her behavior escalates further.

Banned_Princess

It doesn't sound like harassment to me.

If you don't like her, don't hang out with her, but if she is your friend, you have to accept your friends the way they are, or don't hang out with them anymore.

You are not getting out of the lease you signed, because the LL thinks of you as a friend.

Searchertwin

I live in California in a small college town, and am a woman in her twenties. I have lived and rented with the same roommate for the last year. She is also my landlord. While we didn't see each other much she began confiding in me a lot and in December of 2009 made a sexual overture towards me. I told her it made me uncomfortable, that it was unrequited, and she apologized. There has been no similar incident since until recently.

I have had difficulties finding another rental property for next year, and renewed my lease at the last minute. Since then, the harassment has begun again - part of me thinks I'm overreacting, but she says inappropriate things, makes sexually explicit jokes, etc.

This woman considers me a friend, which is why she thinks this behavior is okay. However, because she is also my landlord it makes me uncomfortable. I am trying to get out of my lease agreement, but am wondering to what extent I could use her behavior as citation for breaking the lease.

Thanks for any response you can give. I believe that moving would be the best thing for me at this point if her behavior escalates further.
When you renew the lease she assumed that everything was good between the two of you. She consider you as a friend and If you let what happens stand between the friendship, you will only cause friction that does not need to be there. Look at her as a friend and put the LL to the side. This does not warrant you to break a lease. Sorry, and good luck, give it a chance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">