• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord has utilities in her name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynne71407

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas The landlord had the utilities in her name and I was paying them while living there. On my lease it states that the tenant is responsible for all utilities except the following and she wrote in gas, water and electric. I do not live there and she states that she changed the utilities to my name. Can she legally do this?

Gail in Georgia

I'm going to assume she changed the LEASE to read that you are now responsible for these utilities since it would be highly unusual that she could establish accounts in your name. Any changes to the lease need to be agreed upon by both the landlord AND the tenant.

You indicate you aren't living there. Is your lease up and you are no longer residing there?

Gail

STEPHAN

If she called the utility companies it in your name that does not seem legal to me. You did not enter into a contract with the utility company.

Also, if your lease says that she has to pay utilities that this would be her responsibility.

How long into the lease are you?

Is she a professional LL? Maybe she understood the clause the other way around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">