• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord intimidation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

it-depends

What is the name of your state? California

I moved to my month-to-month rent apartment for less than a year now. When I first signed the rental contract, there was no discussion about clean-up of the front lawn as my sole responsibility in front of my apartment. And I've never even used it since the move-in. The front lawn was like a landfill to begin with, and all kinds of debris were left behind from previous tenant. With my request after I moved into the apartment, the landlord had cleaned up the debris, but the lawn was basically a piece of barren land with no grass (you get the idea) sitting outside my apartment. Moreover, the landlord has changed the faucet head in the front lawn so the no coventional hose can be hooked to it to water the grass (if there's any to begin with). The landlord wants me to use the bucket filled with water carried from the inside apartment out to water the lawn.

Now after months of neglect, weeds have overgrown. The landlord writes me a letter to remind me that it's my responsibility to cut/trim the weeds to keep the front lawn clean. I feel as though I'm Not the responsible party to help upkeep and take care of the exterior parts of the property for him insofar as I don't trash the place. This should either be the responsibility of the property manager or landlord himself, if there's no property manager hired. I've read the rental contract which says nothing specifically about watering/trimming overgrown weeds is my responsibility as tenant. However, it does say that tenants should keep the premise clean. But this is very vague, isn't it? By asking me to take care and trim the weeds from a lawn that has no functional use to begin with, and creating hindrances like changing the faucet head so no one can hook the hose to, is equivalent to asking me to repaint the exterior paint of my apartment after years of wear and tear through natural elements. You get my point?

So my question is: Can landlord legally make me do this ? Does he have justifications for withholding my deposit should I decide to move ? Thank you for your advice!

it-depends

What should I do if the landlord decides to raise just my rent citing increased costs when historically all rents with same unit size are charged equally ?

LindaP777

When I first signed the rental contract, there was no discussion about clean-up of the front lawn as my sole responsibility in front of my apartment.

If lawn care is not in your lease as your responsibility, then I do not see how the LL can make you take care of it.
BUT as xylene mentioned, he can terminate your lease (or so can you). So if you want to stay, negotiate with the LL, have hime change the hose bib so it can be use and contract with a lawn care company to care to the lawn & weeds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">