• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord liability for basketball hoop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

courtneygregor

I am a resident of Washington state looking into any potential liability of a landlord for erecting a basketball hoop on the property. There is no place for children to play in the apartment complex and a basketball hoop in the parking lot for the kids would be a welcome enjoyment for the tenants. What happens if a stray basketball hits a car? Or, God forbid, what happens if a kid gets hit by a car? Is there any way to limit landlord liability without putting a 8 foot high brick wall around the hoop? anything that can be put in the lease that will limit liability?

thanks so much for any help...

D

dj1

If there is no place to put a basketball hoop, then chances are the complex was not originally designed for kids..

The liabilty can be expensive, considering the range of low life tenants that are out there...

One tenant may just say.. eh my son broke his leg falling down, while another will scream the landlord is a slumlord for not taking care of the property. and will sue for $1 million dollars.

[Edited by dj1 on 06-18-2001 at 03:30 PM]

C

courtneygregor

question for dj1 (or anyone really)

why would this be any different than the kid rollerblading in the parking lot, falling and getting hurt? would the landlord be liable in that instance also? Is the basketball scenario different because we are condoning and actually creating the activity/risk?

D

dj1

That would make sense, YOU are making an attractive nusicance, where people are supposed to gather...

Rollerblading is your choice...if you hurt yourself.. tough!

But you always have people who look for a fast buck, and will sue...no matter what...

C

courtneygregor

Another question then....

What if there are "rules" for the basketball court and people can play if they play by the rules? I'm really rooting for the basketball hoop here and can't find any law under landlord tenant that is directly on point....maybe i should be doing my research under general tort law. Does anyone know how the landlord/tenant relationship would affect the general tort rules? would it be analagous to a store owner, etc? licensee vs. trespasser or invitee??

Cvillecpm

Play in a local park, rec center or school

Play basketball in local park, rec center or school yard. Entertaining children is not a function of the property or its amenities. In the "olden days" children read books, watched TV, learned to play the piano, OH...and cleaned up their rooms. If the kids are bored, have them get hourly jobs, walk dogs, help old people with chores, clean up a highway.

Landlord can say NO and mean NO. Look for your entertainment elswwhere.

C

courtneygregor

I am the landlord...that's why i am asking. thanks, though

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">