• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord making me pay for professional carpet cleaning!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

snydekj

Question: I'm moving out of my apartment (in PA) next week where I have lived for three years. My landlord said that he is going to take money out of my security deposit for professional carpet cleaning. It does not say anywhere on the lease that I am responsible for paying this. All it states on the lease is "Landlord can use the security deposit to pay for unpaid rent and damages (beyond normal wear and tear) that are Tenant's responsibility."
The fact is that the carpets (including the entire apartment) were dirty and stained when I moved in! I do not feel that he has the right to deduct money from my security deposit for this. What do you think?
Also, what do I do if he deducts $$ for damages that were there when I moved in? Is it worth fighting over that? It's his word over mine!
Thanks for your help!

D

djdj

Ahhhhhhyes his word over yours.......

well you will learn from this.....on your next apartment, if there is any problems like this, take pictures and have them dated to show the landlord or a JUDGE, that they were like that when you moved in,

ALSO get the landlord and you to go over a movein report , and the stains would have been on that so he could not charge you for cleaning...

You have to learn how to do your homework !

L

LL

Landlord making me pay for professional carpet

How often did you have the carpet cleaned during the 3 years that you lived there?

S

snydekj

reply to LL - Landlord making me pay for carpet cleaning

LL-I never got the carpets professionally cleaned (landlord never told me I had to--I would have done it if I knew I was required to.) but quite a few times I scrubbed with carpet cleaner trying to get stains out (stains that someone else put there). If it doesn't say anything about carpet cleaning in the lease, can he really make me pay for it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">