• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord making up late payments to keep security deposit!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manhattangirl27

New York

My lease was up on the apartment I lived in for 1 year 9 months. I had a 9 month lease with the previous owner then a year with the new owner. I was never late with my rent. I gave proper notice, cleaned the apartment, and left. When no one would respond to me regarding my security and key deposit, I sent a firm letter to the owner saying that I would report them to the Attorney General if I didn't get a reply. That day they mailed me my deposit but held $350 saying that my rent was late 8 times. I emailed them and said that was a load and he said for me to prove I was never late. I always paid on time and there was never a late fee on the monthly invoices. In fact, they gave me a letter of recommendation for my next apartment that said that I never had any trouble paying and owed no back rent or arrears. I pointed this out to the landlord and he said his letter doesn't mean anything and that they aren't required to notify me that I owed a late fee. I'm calling bullsh**. He's just being spiteful because I demanded my deposit back. I told him I would file a complaint and he said for me to do my worse. Can someone point me to a specific NY law that says what he's doing is wrong? By his logic, I could pay my rent 2 months in advance and he could claim I was late just because he deposited the money 4 months later. Thanks.

manhattangirl27

Yes, they were allowed which is why I paid on or before the first. But if I mailed my October rent on the 25th of September and he doesn't cash it until the 15th of October and my November invoice doesn't have a late fee charge, how is that legal??? In theory he could have done that for the 21 months I was there and then said, by the way you owe me a billion dollars in late fees that I didn't tell you about as they accumulated! The lease says that "added rent" is billed and payable as rent. If he doesn't bill me for it how can he say I didn't pay it? All of which is moot because I was never late...

BL

File your complaint and include the letter of recommendation whereas it states you were never late .

But for the record when was your form of payment dated , and did you allow 3-4 delivery days ( each month ) for the LL to receive it ?

Can you you prove it all?

If so , include that with your complaint .

( copies of all - of course ).

Or take the LL to court with ALL your proofs .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">