• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord negligence burglary..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denp1717

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My daughter lives in a gated community in Orange County owned by a huge property company.She thought she had lost a key card to her apartment. She went in the next day, paid the fee and got a replacement. The next day someone showed up at the complex managers office to try and get her key reprogrammed. He turned out to be a fellow employee where she worked that was fired for skimming credit card receipts. He obviously stole the card from my daughter. The mgr. told him he could not reprogram the card without permission. He left and came back again and was refused a second time. The third time within 3 hours he came back and told the Mgr.that he called my daughter and she said it was OK. While he was still there someone called and identified herself as my daughter and said it was OK to give him a card. The Mgr. gave him a card. Two days later the card was used to access my daughters apartment while she was at school and steal her cash and personal items. Video evidence and phone records confirm this story. My daughter was not the caller and was never called to in regards to giving the card to anyone. The Mgr. admitted to police and my daughter that he did not follow company policy and that it was his fault that the apartment was robbed. It seems that there should have been several red flags to alert the Mgr. to the fact that the guy was not legitimate. She would like to hold the complex and its owners responsible for the amount of her loss that renters insurance wont cover. Luckily I guess he was just a burglar and not some type of stalker.Thanks in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My daughter lives in a gated community in Orange County owned by a huge property company.She thought she had lost a key card to her apartment. She went in the next day, paid the fee and got a replacement. The next day someone showed up at the complex managers office to try and get her key reprogrammed. He turned out to be a fellow employee where she worked that was fired for skimming credit card receipts. He obviously stole the card from my daughter. The mgr. told him he could not reprogram the card without permission. He left and came back again and was refused a second time. The third time within 3 hours he came back and told the Mgr.that he called my daughter and she said it was OK. While he was still there someone called and identified herself as my daughter and said it was OK to give him a card. The Mgr. gave him a card. Two days later the card was used to access my daughters apartment while she was at school and steal her cash and personal items. Video evidence and phone records confirm this story. My daughter was not the caller and was never called to in regards to giving the card to anyone. The Mgr. admitted to police and my daughter that he did not follow company policy and that it was his fault that the apartment was robbed. It seems that there should have been several red flags to alert the Mgr. to the fact that the guy was not legitimate. She would like to hold the complex and its owners responsible for the amount of her loss that renters insurance wont cover. Luckily I guess he was just a burglar and not some type of stalker.Thanks in advance!
Thanks for sharing.

In case your question is whether or not she can hold them liable...it couldn't hurt to ask. She may end up suing them.

denp1717

Thanks for sharing.

In case your question is whether or not she can hold them liable...it couldn't hurt to ask. She may end up suing them.[/QUOTY

Yes sorry for my wording. Can she hold them responsible? I would think in small claims court. Thanks again.

FarmerJ

yup small claims court I also think is the best way to go and have a hard time seeing the property management getting out of this one.

denp1717

yup small claims court I also think is the best way to go and have a hard time seeing the property management getting out of this one.
Thanks for your reply!! Its nice to know that not everyone on this site are grammar police ...LOL :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">