• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord not making repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paste_me

I leased a condo from my landlord in Houston, TX right after hurricane Ike because of the damage to my previous property. The property is 2 bed room 2 bath.

When we leased it, we noticed that there were several problems with the kitchen and bathrooms and some problems that we noticed after living there about a couple of days. The landlord promised to replace the kitchen cabinets, replace the washer and dryer that was useless because it was there since the 70s, and the washing machine from the 70s. The bathroom were also in bad shape, the toilets and sinks did not drain, the bathtub was not working either b/c water kept getting stuck in it. We had the following written in out lease

"REPAIR THE DRAWERS IN BOTH BATHROOMS, AND WILL BEGIN TO REMODEL / UPDATE THE KITCHEN CABINETS WITHIN SIX (6) MONTHS"

The contractor came over in december to looked at the entire place and said that they will be replacing the the toilets which stopped working, replace the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom (the cabinets were pretty much useless - they had holes in them and did not open and close.) He also said they would replace the sinks because they had problems b/c they were so old. He told us to move out stuff out of the kitchen so they could start working on the kitchen. The landlord told me that he will work on it in January while I was away from the condo during winter break.

The repairs were no completed when I returned, and one of the bathroom and bedroom was useless b/c of all the stuff from the kitchen. I have talked to him and he kept telling that he is working on it, and told me that the cabinets were on order and are coming in 2 weeks - this was in January. The place in not livable in the current condition because our kitchen is useless and so is one of the bathroom, furthermore we are using one of the bedrooms to store the stuff from out kitchen. I have spoken to him and he said he is ready to move on the repairs "in a week." It has been several weeks and he keeps telling me the same thing.

I spoke to my relator and she e-mailed him to ask if it would be ok to dissolve the lease. If he choses not to, is there anything I can do? I just want to move out of this place, and am pretty sure that he is not going to make any repairs.

Cvillecpm

Move at the end of your lease....you can ask to get out and your landlord can say NO.....If you are M2M, give 30 day notice AFTER you have found other housing!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">