• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord not owner of home-but family member of owner.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nolaage

What is the name of your state? FL

I have a hostile tenant living in my home in the upstairs floor. He has expressed interest in moving at the end of the year and i told him he would be breaking the lease. I asked him to place an ad in the paper and help me look for a new tenant since he was inconveniencing me and he refused.

Tenant has started to retaliate by placing an unauthorized lock on his door, leaving lights, fans and TV on in his room. He ran 43 gallons of hot water a couple days ago and I was forced to take a cold shower that morning. Worst of all tenant leaves the front door unlocked all the time (even after being told verbally and in handwritten notes not to do so). A couple days ago I woke up in the morning to find the ront door completely open (my room is on the first floor and I have cats). I have yet to address these last two issues about the hot water and actually leaving the door open because I want to negotiate with tnant to get him out by the end of November.

My issue is this: I have been mentioning all of these happenings to my father who is the legal owner of this home. I am not listed on the deed. My dad has threatened to come up here with my brother (also listed on deed) to change the locks and/or put the tenant's property out of the home if I cannot resolve this matter myself.

Will I be legally liable for anything to the tenant if i was not authorized by law to enter into this lease with him in the first place. Does my dad and brother have the right to come in here and put this hostile tenant out?

NEED IMMEDIATE HELP!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">