• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Not paying Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apps

What is the name of your state? CT

I was renting apartment for 1 year, and had 2 months security deposit with the landlord. I adjusted last month's rent with 1 month security deposit after consultation with my landlord. I came out of the apartment after the lease terminated and the landlord is not paying 1 month security deposit. Please let me know what can I do in this regards.
Also one more thing, in the lease it was mentioned that last month's rent cannot be adjusted with security deposit, but it was done on my request and landlord approved also. Please advice me accordingly.

treese

You are correct, it was against your lease and CT LL/T Law to use the Security Deposit as rent. However, both parties agreed and there was still a substantial deposit amount left to cover damages, not a problem.

The landlord has 30 days from the date that you moved out to return your Security Deposit and/or an itemized list of damages.

(d) Payment of security deposit and interest at termination of tenancy.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap831.htm#Sec47a-21.htm

How long has it been since you moved out?

Is the LL refusing to return the deposit ... or have you just not received it yet?

apps

LandLord Not paying Security Deposit

On 31st July I will be completing one month after I came out of the Apartment. The LL is in Florida and initially she told me that she will give on same day when I vacate the apartment. Now I am calling her but she is not responding back. And it seems she has changed her phone number also. The lease was signed thru Century 21 realtor. Please adivce me as to what action can I take now.

LadyGwennie

apps said:
On 31st July I will be completing one month after I came out of the Apartment.
I have never gotten my security deposit back before 25 days after I moved out. Don't fret about it until the beginning of August. As I recall (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) the letter containing the check must be postmarked on or before the 30th day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">