• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord not returning security or responding to my request

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klhitner

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

As of July 14th, I vacated a condo I was renting. To date, I still have not received my security back from my landlord. Along with that, she is not responding to any of my emails requesting the funds. I have done some research on security deposits for the state of NJ to which I discovered that if security is not returned within 30 days, tenant can go to court and file suit and request DOUBLE the amount of security. Is this correct? I also learned that by law, a landlord cannot request more that 1 month and a half security. She charged me double as I had a dog along with an additional $25 per month in rent. My question is, I am going to file suit against her, but what should I document in the paperwork? Do I even have a case and what should I provide to the court as evidence?

Searchertwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

As of July 14th, I vacated a condo I was renting. To date, I still have not received my security back from my landlord. Along with that, she is not responding to any of my emails requesting the funds. I have done some research on security deposits for the state of NJ to which I discovered that if security is not returned within 30 days, tenant can go to court and file suit and request DOUBLE the amount of security. Is this correct? I also learned that by law, a landlord cannot request more that 1 month and a half security. She charged me double as I had a dog along with an additional $25 per month in rent. My question is, I am going to file suit against her, but what should I document in the paperwork? Do I even have a case and what should I provide to the court as evidence?
Need more information;
1) When was lease to start and end
2) Was notice to leave in writing
3) Did you deliver a 30 days notice
4) Was there any damage to place
5) Is deposit broken down to include pet?

klhitner

1) lease was from 10/15/2009 - 10/15/2010 - the landlord brought me to court to terminate my lease early as she didn't read her owners manual for the association where it states no dogs allowed. She and I were told by the management company that the dog or myself has to leave the property so my landlord and I both agreed on a termination date. We did go to court and have this in writing so she couldnt turn around and try to charge me additional fees for early termination.

2) The landlord provided me notice of early termination in writing and was sent to me via certified mail.

3) I didnt deliver 30 days notice as the landlord gave me 30 days herself.

4) The only damage that was done to the place was a squirrel chewed a hole in the deck (which was nothing I did). Otherwise, I left the place in top shape condition minus nail holes from pictures I had hanging.

5) The lease does say "Tenant will pay a total of $2400 which is a total of 2 months security for pets"

Please note that although the lease says my security will be deposited into an interest bearing account at JP Morgan Chase, I was never notified of the location of the bank or an interest rate on the account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">