• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord painting for new tenants before i move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

everready73

What is the name of your state? PA

I have a situation where my landlord wants to come in and paint my place over a month before my roomates and i move out. If they are getting the apartment ready for the people who are moving in in august, can they make it a hassle for us to paint the place before we move out. They sent all residents a letter saying they would be doing this, but did not give dates. Today, they left a note on our door saying they were going to do it in two days. Keep in mind I live in a college town and landlords are notorious for taking advantage of students who don't know their rights.
My issues:
1. They said all belongings in apartment must be moved three feet from the wall, including taking all the clothes out of closets etc. and they would charge if they had to move it. One of my roomates is away for at least another week and cant move his stuff.
2. They are not giving us any time to make repairs to the apartment ourselves that they said we would be charged for (small holes, nail holes ect)
3. The reason they gave in the letter for doing this early is because they have a lot of apartments to get ready, but why should it effect my living situation.
4. Everything must be taken off the walls (posters, mirrors, paintings) and if we make more holes when we hang them back up, we will be charged to fix them again.

The lease states that the landlord may enter the leased property to inspect, make repairs, do maintenance, read water meters, and show leased property to others. I interpret doing repairs and maintenance in the context of things that need to be done to the apartment to keep it in working order while WE live there, not so they can do repairs to make it easier on them to get the place ready when new people move in. They are essentially making us move out of our place twice. Thank you for any responses.

Last edited:

ecmst12

There is no law I can think of that prevents them from doing this, though it's kind of dumb, so you can't really stop them.

everready73

It doesn't say they are going to in my lease though. My biggest issue is the time frame they gave us to make any repairs and move things.... 2 days

BL

They are doing everyone's units , not just yours.

Go along with it .

It's not against the laws.

Gail in Georgia

If you're worried about being charged for holes in the walls, buy a container of spackling and fill the holes yourself. Slap some on, wait a few minutes, wipe the extra off with a damp cloth.

It certainly doesn't take two days to do this nor will it take two days to move your furniture away from the walls.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">