• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord & plumbing issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teela

What is the name of your state? CA

We moved in 3 weeks ago, during our first week at this house, we had toilets backing up into the bathtubs. The landlord had me call a plumber and he came out and ran a snake through the mainline. He also showed me with the camera how the pipe (3”) under the house is clogged with grease from the last tenant. He was able to get through it and now there is about a 1” hole available for everything to get through. The plumber wanted a lot of money to run a warthog (?) through it, so my landlord said no, he’d have his regular plumber come out. :rolleyes:

Since then, I regularly have to plunge the toilet (I hate this) but at least there are no back ups to the tub. I told the landlord that I am still plunging…so his “regular” plumber friend shows up and ran a snake through one of the toilets and announced that everything is fine. Right. He took the cap off the mainline, but he had not way to look down it and the results are…I’m still plunging.

Since I saw the pipe in the camera I know this is probably a huge problem waiting to happen.
Am I being unreasonable? Is plunging the toilet after nearly every flush a good
enough reason to complain again? What do I tell guests? Be ready to plunge the toilet! My landlord is a contractor, he should know better, shouldn’t he?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? CA

We moved in 3 weeks ago, during our first week at this house, we had toilets backing up into the bathtubs. The landlord had me call a plumber and he came out and ran a snake through the mainline. He also showed me with the camera how the pipe (3”) under the house is clogged with grease from the last tenant. He was able to get through it and now there is about a 1” hole available for everything to get through. The plumber wanted a lot of money to run a warthog (?) through it, so my landlord said no, he’d have his regular plumber come out. :rolleyes:

Since then, I regularly have to plunge the toilet (I hate this) but at least there are no back ups to the tub. I told the landlord that I am still plunging…so his “regular” plumber friend shows up and ran a snake through one of the toilets and announced that everything is fine. Right. He took the cap off the mainline, but he had not way to look down it and the results are…I’m still plunging.

Since I saw the pipe in the camera I know this is probably a huge problem waiting to happen.
Am I being unreasonable? Is plunging the toilet after nearly every flush a good
enough reason to complain again? What do I tell guests? Be ready to plunge the toilet! My landlord is a contractor, he should know better, shouldn’t he?
**A: either read the landlord tenant law or buy another plunger for guests.

FarmerJ

If the last tenant was careless or had kids likely there is something stuck in the toilets S curve,( toy , or ???) If you want to try to reduce the grease build up try frequently pouring 5 gallon buccket of scalding hot water down drain. and NEVER pour grease down those drains again, use old news print to soak it up and then toss paper into trash. DONT forget send your LL letter via certified mail telling them the toilets are still not flushing properly and something must be stuck in them. keep copy for self staple your rct to your copy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">