• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord problems in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmerlino

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I live in Florida and am renting a home I am as well disabled and cannot walk which i know makes no difference when coming to eviction...But I am being evicted because my landlord says i owe her money but i know for a fact i gave her this money because my mother gave it to me for her.. but she says she does not remember me giving it to her..as well she is asking that i move with out giving me any time to move and is sending her husband over to try to intimidate me thinking i will be scared and leave. What can i do??

Hot Topic

If your mother gave you the money and you in turn gave it to the landlord, which must have been difficult since you say you can't walk, you should have a receipt proving that you gave the landlord xxx number of dollars on such and such a date. Was the payment in cash or did you pay by money order? When was the rent due? Your story at this point lacks credibility.

You have to come up with proof that you paid her. She in turn has to go through the court to evict you.

jmerlino

well i gave it to her in cash because the money was dropped off to me and my landlord came over after and picked up the money from me i know not making a money order was a big mistake and it is almost impossible to prove with no evidence but i am not worried about the eviction if she is going to take me for an idiot i do not mind moving at all i know i have xxx amount of days before i can legally be evicted but she is insisting i move now with no legal action.. kind of a if you know whats good for you, you will leave now type of situation and i was just thinking maybe while i am not home maybe some of my belongings will come up missing .. the rent is due on the 10th of every month because the 10th is the day i moved in i receive 2 checks from the government a month because of my disability and me and my landlord came to a agreement that i would give her half the rent with my first check and the other half the next check and she has been fine for a year and a half with this(no paper work was made for this)..recently the refrigerator stopped working and i asked her to replace it this was $300 the same amount that i owed her so I was thinking maybe she is trying to recover the $300 she had to come out of her pocket...what i really need to know is what if she keeps sending her husband over harassing me or other friends telling me i better leave or else ..there has to be something i can do to stop this
and thank you very much for the answers

Hot Topic

Any agreements with a landlord should be in writing to avoid a "You told me, No I didn't" situation.

You'd better be worried about being evicted if you can't prove that you paid the rent. I'm sure one of the landlords that frequent these posts will tell you about what happens to people who don't, or in your case say that they paid the rent but have no proof. Your mother can say she gave you the money to give the landlord, but she can't prove that you actually did.

Some landlords would have started the eviction proceedings already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">