• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/Property Management unable to fulfill......

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Renter146

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, USA

On the beginning of the lease we were informed that the backyard was going to be landscape on the month that we are going to move-in. We have been going back in forth on an email about the backyard and they keep giving me reason to delay the landscape for the backyard. Now I only have 2 months on my lease and still the backyard is not done and my family was not able to enjoy the backyard because it has all type of weeds grown in there.

What options do i have;
1.) Should I demand for compensation for falsely giving me information so that I can signed a lease?
2.) If I break the lease, would this be a reason for them to not return my deposit?
3.) Please give me options???

Thank you

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, USA

On the beginning of the lease we were informed that the backyard was going to be landscape on the month that we are going to move-in. We have been going back in forth on an email about the backyard and they keep giving me reason to delay the landscape for the backyard. Now I only have 2 months on my lease and still the backyard is not done and my family was not able to enjoy the backyard because it has all type of weeds grown in there.

What options do i have;
1.) Should I demand for compensation for falsely giving me information so that I can signed a lease?
2.) If I break the lease, would this be a reason for them to not return my deposit?
3.) Please give me options???

Thank you
How long is this lease? A year? :confused:

Gail in Georgia

I'm going to assume you mean you have two months left on your current lease, correct?

"1.) Should I demand for compensation for falsely giving me information so that I can signed a lease?"

Well, you certainly can but there is nothing that says management needs to agree to this. Not having a landscaped back yard does not, unfortunately, make the rental unit "uninhabitable" in an sense of the world.

" 2.) If I break the lease, would this be a reason for them to not return my deposit?"

Of course it would. In addition to suing you for an eviction which would end up on your credit history.

" 3.) Please give me options???"

Continue living out your current lease and find another rental unit with a finished back yard. Or, I suppose, you could mow down the weeds in your current back yard.

Gail

Renter146

In your lease does it say you are responsible for lawn care , mowing the grass ??
Well, its funny! Now i just received an email that I should be getting a call from a contractor to survey the backyard to start the landscaping, now that I only have 2 months left on my lease.

They are responsible for the care of the front lawn and backyard as stated on my lease. That why it was included on the email that they will have the same front lawn service to clean up the backyard..

Well thank you all your help! I guess before I signed another lease to make sure that all stipulation are written on the lease!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">