• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord refuse to fix microwave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantcook

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

my landlord refuse to fix the broken microwave, he states that microwave is not necessary in apartment leasing.
But the microwave is physically present when we sign the lease. The lease agreement does not indicate microwave.

what shall I do to get the landlord fix the microwave.

thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

my landlord refuse to fix the broken microwave, he states that microwave is not necessary in apartment leasing.
But the microwave is physically present when we sign the lease. The lease agreement does not indicate microwave.

thanks
Why should he fix it? :confused::confused:

quincy

thanks
You are located in Maryland now, and not Pennsylvania or Washington state? You move a lot. :)

If the microwave was not listed in the lease agreement, the landlord does not have to fix it. Microwaves are relatively inexpensive. You could either fix the one you have or purchase another.

Stephen1

Is it built-in or just sitting on the counter? I would expect built-in items to be repaired. Also, I might not expect a built-in appliance to be listed in the lease just as the built-in dishwasher isn't listed.

Now if it wasn't built-in, I'm not as amenable toward paying to repair or replace it for you.

quantcook

Is it built-in or just sitting on the counter? I would expect built-in items to be repaired. Also, I might not expect a built-in appliance to be listed in the lease just as the built-in dishwasher isn't listed.

Now if it wasn't built-in, I'm not as amenable toward paying to repair or replace it for you.

thank you. I just want to get clear if microwave is necessarily an amenable item.

Stephen1

I recommend that you do not dispose of the microwave but that you turn it over to the landlord. And maybe get something from the landlord regarding that there is no longer a microwave provided with the apartment. You don't want to get to the end of your tenancy and have the landlord start asking about what happened to the microwave or expecting you to leave the replacement that you bought. People's memories sometimes are less than perfect.

FarmerJ

Since its a portable unit If it was me and the LL lived with in driving distance of me I would consider having a friend come with me and take a video of me giving the broken microwave to the LL telling the LL politely `I don't have a problem with your refusing to repair or replace it but it still is yours to do with as you wish since it is not mine to throw out. then not only save the video but consider making a couple of copies and burning it to disc so that way there will not be any dispute that you did not throw it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">