• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord refuse to give sec. dep

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tryplex1806

What is the name of your state? PA

I have recently moved to a new home and when I left I sent my landlord a forwarding address with the keys to the house. It has been almost 2 months since I moved and I have not received my security deposit or any word from him for that matter. I tried to get in contact with him by sending the letter and also numerous phone calls. I finally spoke with him and he is refusing to pay the deposit back because of damages he said that I caused. He didn't want to meet with me to do a final walk through, told me to leave the keys with the new tenants (who lived there right after I moved out for about a month). Being that it took over thirty days am I entitled to double my security deposit and it is worth going to civil court?

longneck

tryplex1806 said:
...it is worth going to civil court?
that is a question only you can decide. using only the information your provided, it sounds like a slam-dunk case where you are entitled to double your deposit back.

make sure when you file the suit you include court costs and atoorney's fees (if any) in addition to double deposit as the requested award.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">