• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord refused inspection/deposit refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fuzzyfuzzy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I know you're all probably rolling your eyes at the title of this post, but it's a legitimate question..
I was living in a place in san diego county and after I gave my moveout notice I received no letter explaining my rights to a pre-moveout inspection. when I (unwittingly) tried to exercise this right (I called and specifically asked the landlord to come look at the carpets and advise me on what he'd like done) he said 'no, that won't be necessary'. once I moved out I waited a couple of weeks and call the guy up to ask what he had done about the carpet. you see, I moved into this unit in what I'd call 'odd' circumstances. a friend of mine had been living there with a roommate and the roommate got a dog (which is against the rule of the complex). when the landlord found out about the dog he kicked them out for violations of the contract. when my friend found out about this she asked if she found another roommate if she could stay. the landlord agreed but only gave her, I think, three or five days to find someone. when I moved in there was no inspection performed but there were stains all over the place where the dog had peed and the roommate had left it alone. anyways, when I ask the landlord what he had planned to do about the deposit he said that he was keeping the whole thing because he had to replace the carpet (I lived there for 3 years and 9 months and the carpet was installed about 4-5 years before I moved in) and that I should be expecting a bill for what the deposit didn't cover of the replacement costs.
considering that he didn't inspect the place before I moved in after specifically evicting the other girl for having a dog and the fact that he denied me my right to a pre-moveout inspection..are any of his actions here legal?

thanks for reading and any help you can offer..What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I know you're all probably rolling your eyes at the title of this post, but it's a legitimate question..
I was living in a place in san diego county and after I gave my moveout notice I received no letter explaining my rights to a pre-moveout inspection. when I (unwittingly) tried to exercise this right (I called and specifically asked the landlord to come look at the carpets and advise me on what he'd like done) he said 'no, that won't be necessary'. once I moved out I waited a couple of weeks and call the guy up to ask what he had done about the carpet. you see, I moved into this unit in what I'd call 'odd' circumstances. a friend of mine had been living there with a roommate and the roommate got a dog (which is against the rule of the complex). when the landlord found out about the dog he kicked them out for violations of the contract. when my friend found out about this she asked if she found another roommate if she could stay. the landlord agreed but only gave her, I think, three or five days to find someone. when I moved in there was no inspection performed but there were stains all over the place where the dog had peed and the roommate had left it alone. anyways, when I ask the landlord what he had planned to do about the deposit he said that he was keeping the whole thing because he had to replace the carpet (I lived there for 3 years and 9 months and the carpet was installed about 4-5 years before I moved in) and that I should be expecting a bill for what the deposit didn't cover of the replacement costs.
considering that he didn't inspect the place before I moved in after specifically evicting the other girl for having a dog and the fact that he denied me my right to a pre-moveout inspection..are any of his actions here legal?

thanks for reading and any help you can offer..What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In all of this, I don't see that you actually PAID a deposit in the first place...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">