• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord refused to rent out lease break apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rsjones

What is the name of your state?ok,

very long I'm so sorry
I just purchased a new home, after only being in my apartment for two months. Before purchasing my home I called the landlord and asked her what would I need to do if I needed to break my lease. She said their would be a reletting fee, plus I would have to pay back any discount I received. I repeated back to her what I said, and she said that is correct and gave me this example. She said that if I was at the end of my lease and had a month or two left it would be more benificial to just pay the remaining rent. At that point I read my lease about the reletting fee, which I was fine with.

When I went to the landlord a week later, and told them my bid for my new home was excepted and I would need to break my lease, they refused to break the lease and said they don't break leases. At that point I offered three months rent in advance plus the reletting fee. They refuse to except it and are saying that I have to pay out the entire rest of the lease unless they find a new tenent. I had no problem with this until I asked how long they predicted it would take, in a very calm manner, believe me I am a pretty quiet person. They then told me that they will not rent out my apartment because any lease endings will take presidence over my apartment and unless a person comes to them and says specifically that they want my apartment they do not plan on renting it out. I asked her about what she said to me a week earlier, and she said no I told you the example of if you were at the end of your lease, not if you were breaking it now.

I then said that I would be contacting a lawyer because I did not feel that if I was paying monthly rent and a reletting fee for marketing efforts, and they were not trying to market my apartment that that had to make them in default of the contract. They then told me that if a lender called they would tell them that "I was not in compliance with my contract," even though I have paid rent on time, and I gave them no written notice. They were standing up above me and yelling and screaming at me because I would even question them and that this would go on my credit and that I had a big choice to make if i was to mess with them because they do this all of the time. My mother was also there to witness this. At that point they physically led me and my mother to the door of the office and kicked me out saying they refuse to talk to me anymore.

Later that day I found a letter on my door saying that to be let out of my lease it would cost more , about $2000 more, than if I was just to pay every month till the end of the lease. How can making me pay more than what it would be if I finished out the next ten months of my contract be legal? I was willing to write them a check for three months rent, forfeit my deposit, and pay a reletting fee upfront. Which would give them plenty of time to rent out my apartment.

Does anyone have any advice to making a person pay more to break their lease than to finish out the rest of their contract? How can that be legal? Can they threaten my credit like that, even when I haven't put in writing my breaking the lease?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">