• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord refuses to fix windows, can i break lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Psu_Maestro

Recently, i resigned a year lease with my current Landlord. Actually, it is handled by a Realitor. One of the conditions for resigning my lease was that the Realitor was going to fix problems i have with my windows.

Basically, 9 of 11 windows in the home don't close all the way, windows are bent and are unable to lock, some are falling off the tracks. Pretty much they don't properly block the wind. 5 windows don't close on either the top portion or bottom portion. There are windows where there is a two inch gap, which allows wind to freely enter the aparment.

After several letters and multiple unanswered phone calls. The Realitor and owner walked throught the apartment to look at the windows. They came at a time i was not home, even though i asked to be present. Either way i recieved a letter stating the windows would remain 'as is.' No repairs would be made.

I'm fed up with this place and don't want to endure a winter with windows that don't close all the way. I pay for the heat. my 1st step will be to aks the realitor to let me out of the lease, but i highly doubt they will ablige. What steps can be taken to have my lease broken? Can i report the Realitor to any type of agency? Can i take legal action in some type of small claims court?

thank you - Jeff, philadelphia, pa

panzertanker

Psu_Maestro said:
Unfortunaty, no i don't have it in writing.
Then unless you either:
1. get the landlord/realtor to agree to fix the windows
OR
2. have the local code department inspect the house and deem these windows need to be fixed

You are going to be sleeping in the cold or end up breaking your lease and paying the penalty.

ENASNI

panzertanker said:
Then unless you either:
1. get the landlord/realtor to agree to fix the windows
OR
2. have the local code department inspect the house and deem these windows need to be fixed

You are going to be sleeping in the cold or end up breaking your lease and paying the penalty.

I acquiesce...

You need to write one more letter requesting this refusal of repairs so you have something to show the housing authority... or as Panzer says code inspector.

http://www.tagaction.net/tenantrights.htm
http://www.hud.gov/local/pa/renting/tenantrights.cfm

Psu_Maestro

Am i justified in refusing to pay rent? My only option is to go to the housing authority? thanks for helping out..

ENASNI

Psu_Maestro said:
Am i justified in refusing to pay rent? My only option is to go to the housing authority? thanks for helping out..

My knowledge on Philly ends here except you make excellent Cheesesteaks

And that your State's web site sucks for getting any information about repair and deduct laws.
http://members.aol.com/StatutesPA/68.Cp.8.html

That is why I gave you those links... make some phone calls Philly.

I hope someone comes back here that knows about your State, but I have been around and I do not know any Philadelphians around... I think. :(

Texans, Hawaiians, New Yorkers and Some Ohio guys... And of course Californians.

I may be wrong though... keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Leinalani

Psu_Maestro said:
If you refuse to pay rent, they have grounds to evict you then collect fees as per your lease agreement. So, that wouldn't be the best option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">