• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord refuses to give back security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, he says the work is still ongoing, and estimates to be close to 10000 in repair and damages, can he authorize work to be done in that amount without my consent? Can he just throw me the bill and expect me to pay this without letting me know what kind of work is being done? It has been exactly 1 month since I moved out..
Why do you think he needs your "authorization" to repair damage you caused? Yes, he can certainly expect you to pay for damage you caused.

asianboi

Here's the problem, there are no damages when I moved out, that's why I'm in question, and yet i don't have receipts, he is charging me for wear and tear.. Why should I pay for something that I didn't damage? Yet he authorize the repair and expects me to pay for all, It sounds like I'm renovation his place under my cost.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's the problem, there are no damages when I moved out, that's why I'm in question, and yet i don't have receipts, he is charging me for wear and tear.. Why should I pay for something that I didn't damage? Yet he authorize the repair and expects me to pay for all, It sounds like I'm renovation his place under my cost.
These are things that can be brought in front of the judge when/if it comes to that.

Silverplum

Yes, he says the work is still ongoing, and estimates to be close to 10000 in repair and damages, can he authorize work to be done in that amount without my consent? Can he just throw me the bill and expect me to pay this without letting me know what kind of work is being done? It has been exactly 1 month since I moved out..
Then you didn't read the law as it applies to your situation. The work is ongoing = your complaint about timeliness is invalid.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Ok, thanks everyone for your advice and input, I will be going to small claims court to file.
Perhaps you would have received more specific information if you had been more specific.

We don't know what damage the landlord alleges.

We don't know what condition the property was when you moved in, and what its condition was when you left. Nor do we know if you have any documentation of what condition the property was in when you left. Did you have a final walk through before moving out? Did you take any pictures?

We GET that the landlord can't use your security deposit to remodel the place. But we don't know if you actually trashed the place or not either.

TigerD

Get an attorney. The case will not stay in small claims.

When the landlord files the counter claim, he will also move the case out of small claims.

TD

BL

Top ones are wear n tear , bottom ones are damage : examples

Wear & Tear
Damages

Worn out keys
Lost keys

Loose or stubborn door lock
Broken or missing locks

Loose hinges or handles on doors
Damage to a door from forced entry

Worn and dirty carpeting
Torn, stained or burned carpeting

Carpet seam unglued
Rust or oil stains on carpet

Scuffed up wood floors
Badly scratched or gouged wood floors

Linoleum worn thin
Linoleum with tears or holes

Worn countertop
Burns and cuts in countertop

Stain on ceiling from rain or bad plumbing
Stain on ceiling from overflowed tub

Plaster cracks from settling
Holes in walls from kids or carelessness

Faded, chipped or cracked paint
Unapproved (bad) tenant paint job

Loose wallpaper
Ripped or marked-up wallpaper

Balky drapery rod
Broken drapery rod

Faded curtains and drapes
Torn or missing curtains and drapes

Heat blistered blinds
Blinds with bent slats

Dirty window or door screens
Torn or missing screens

Sticky window
Broken window

Loose or inoperable faucet handle
Broken or missing faucet handle

Toilet runs or wobbles
Broken toilet seat or tank top

Urine odor around toilet
Urine or pet odor throughout unit

Closet bi-fold door off track
Damaged or missing bi-fold door

Proserpina

Top ones are wear n tear , bottom ones are damage : examples

Wear & Tear
Damages

Worn out keys
Lost keys

Loose or stubborn door lock
Broken or missing locks

Loose hinges or handles on doors
Damage to a door from forced entry

Worn and dirty carpeting
Torn, stained or burned carpeting

Carpet seam unglued
Rust or oil stains on carpet

Scuffed up wood floors
Badly scratched or gouged wood floors

Linoleum worn thin
Linoleum with tears or holes

Worn countertop
Burns and cuts in countertop

Stain on ceiling from rain or bad plumbing
Stain on ceiling from overflowed tub

Plaster cracks from settling
Holes in walls from kids or carelessness

Faded, chipped or cracked paint
Unapproved (bad) tenant paint job

Loose wallpaper
Ripped or marked-up wallpaper

Balky drapery rod
Broken drapery rod

Faded curtains and drapes
Torn or missing curtains and drapes

Heat blistered blinds
Blinds with bent slats

Dirty window or door screens
Torn or missing screens

Sticky window
Broken window

Loose or inoperable faucet handle
Broken or missing faucet handle

Toilet runs or wobbles
Broken toilet seat or tank top

Urine odor around toilet
Urine or pet odor throughout unit

Closet bi-fold door off track
Damaged or missing bi-fold door

That was beautiful, BL. I envisioned blonde haired children dancing merrily across the fields with their Nanny!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">