• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Refuses to Give Copy of Landlord Registration!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

braubrau

This is a 2-part question regarding a Landlord Registration:

1.)
I live in an apartment/townhome complex (approx. 580 units) located in New Jersey. By law the landlord is required to give a copy of their landlord registration to each tenant as well as post it (in the form of a green card) visibly in the rental office. I have asked repeatedly for a copy, submitted many written letters requesting a copy, even met with one of the general partners of the corporation asking for a copy. To date (9 months later), I still have NOT received a copy of the landlord registration nor is it posted in the rental office. All of my requests have fallen on deaf ears and I feel the landlord has clearly demonstrated that he thinks he is above the law! What agency can I contact to force my landlord to comply with the law and give me a copy of the landlord registration as well as have it posted in the rental office?

2.)
I contacted the local municipal building to see if the complex was even registered (thinking this was the reason why I have not received a copy). The original landlord registration was filed is 1993. The clerk said, however, that they (landlord) requested a "transfer" in 1993 and was declined because they (landlord) owed money (for violations). What does this mean when a landlord requests a transfer (Municipal Clerk couldn't tell me/didn't know)? And, if they (landlord) are declined a transfer, does this mean the original landlord registration is somehow fraudulent? And, if the original landlord registration is somehow fraudulent, are they (landlord) allowed by law to collect ANY money?

I am at my wits end with this situation and ANY guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cvillecpm

Gentlemen, check your pillows!!!

Obviously, it means nothing. Like the Mattress and Pillow Police, evidently this CRIME is not prosecuted in NJ. So what? It does not void your lease or allow you to break it and the mgmt obviously humored you in this knowing that nothing could/would be done to them. Did you know that All elevators in the US are supposed to have their most recent inspection permit posted INSIDE the cab?.....and they never are? Why don't you concentrate on something where your efforts will actually make a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">