• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord refuses to make repairs ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goaded

What is the name of your state? IN

Before we moved in/signed lease, the landlord verbally agreed to make several repairs - get carpets clean, paint, fix holes in doors ,fix broken cabinets etc ...

At the time we also asked if we would be able to have a pet, the answer was yes but it would cost $$$ extra each month. Well we signed the lease and the following month rescued a dog after getting permission from the landlord.

Now, they refuse to make any of the repairs they promised to make prior to us moving in stating that they have to hold the money back in case the dog damages anything ... WTF?

IMHO our deposit more than covers any potential damages to the home - + they are charging X amount more to have a dog each month.

Can they refuse to make any repairs?

Additionally, they insist on giving us an aswering machine # for contacting them - they almost never return our calls maybe 20% of the time. I have insisted on getting a # where I can contact them directly in case of emergency and they refuse.

This is our second landlord experience - the previous one was awesome compared to this one.

As far as I am concerned they have breached our contract verbal as it was.

very frustrated ...

BL

goaded said:

Before we moved in/signed lease, the landlord verbally agreed to make several repairs - get carpets clean, paint, fix holes in doors ,fix broken cabinets etc ...

At the time we also asked if we would be able to have a pet, the answer was yes but it would cost $$$ extra each month. Well we signed the lease and the following month rescued a dog after getting permission from the landlord.

Now, they refuse to make any of the repairs they promised to make prior to us moving in stating that they have to hold the money back in case the dog damages anything ... WTF?

IMHO our deposit more than covers any potential damages to the home - + they are charging X amount more to have a dog each month.

Additionally, they insist on giving us an aswering machine # for contacting them - they almost never return our calls maybe 20% of the time. I have insisted on getting a # where I can contact them directly in case of emergency and they refuse.

This is our second landlord experience - the previous one was awesome compared to this one.

very frustrated ...
The LL could verbally tell you anything , then deny it .

Unless these are would be write ups , the LL can stand his/her ground and get away with it .

As long as there is a contact # , That's all I have , an answering service .

Last edited:

goaded

I had always heard verbal agreements/contracts were binding. If they were to turn around and deny it all - things would get very ugly.

And yes, I agree a lot of landlords may use answering services, BUT I would hope that if the tenant called they would get a return call within a reasonable amount of time - these morons dont even both to calla at all.

They have made 2 appointments to come over to check things out and have not shown - without calling to let us know. THAT IS BS!

I am not going to stand for it - if they dont correct their behavior quick I will move out - only been here a month and they are already showing that they are bums!

BL

goaded said:
I had always heard verbal agreements/contracts were binding. If they were to turn around and deny it all - things would get very ugly.

And yes, I agree a lot of landlords may use answering services, BUT I would hope that if the tenant called they would get a return call within a reasonable amount of time - these morons dont even both to calla at all.

They have made 2 appointments to come over to check things out and have not shown - without calling to let us know. THAT IS BS!

I am not going to stand for it - if they dont correct their behavior quick I will move out - only been here a month and they are already showing that they are bums!
Yep , the correct word is slumlord , and all the want is rent money .

For instance I've lived at my rental for going on 10 years . Promises by the LL mean nothing . If he gets a violation maybe he will fix them . If he feels like doing something he will.

I recently told him we were looking to move soon, and ask about notice & security Deposit .

He told me he'd drop the rent $100.00 a month to keep us . Well now he is stating ONLY for the heating season .

This was all verbal . Who do you think the Court would side with , If I only paid $100.00 less in rent this month ? Yep ....

Look if you feel there's any violations , contact code enforcement .

ENASNI

Blonde Lebinese said:
Yep , the correct word is slumlord
I hate to disagree with you on this word slumlord, I have seen a true slumlord dwelling and well, It would make even JETX cry. lets not toss that word around willy nilly.

I am not saying I am Jane in arms for the homeless because that would ruin my reputation on this board for being a hard-a$$ but, there are slumlords and there are bad landlords.

Okay off my soapbox and back under my bed, JETX caught me in an error and I am embarrassed, and well... I have dust all over me. :eek:

BL

ENASNI said:
I hate to disagree with you on this word slumlord, I have seen a true slumlord dwelling and well, It would make even JETX cry. lets not toss that word around willy nilly.

I am not saying I am Jane in arms for the homeless because that would ruin my reputation on this board for being a hard-a$$ but, there are slumlords and there are bad landlords.

Okay off my soapbox and back under my bed, JETX caught me in an error and I am embarrassed, and well... I have dust all over me. :eek:
I'll let you slide this time . I know , I know . It's " ALL " the welfare bum's faults the Bad Landlords have all the housing problems . I know .... :rolleyes:

HomeGuru

goaded said:

very frustrated ...

**A: WTF, how about start off by reading and understanding the L/T law.

goaded

HomeGuru said:
**A: WTF, how about start off by reading and understanding the L/T law.
Whats up your crawl?

The only thing I need to understand here is that they promised to do something and now they are refusing! It's that simple! Baiting and switching is illegal! Sign here and we will give you this, then you sign and get nothing - nope sorry homey doesnt play that!

I dont think they are slumlords, its a nice home, but they are very crappy landlords with no business in the business!

ENASNI

my point And I will not go further

goaded said:
Whats up your crawl?

The only thing I need to understand here is that they promised to do something and now they are refusing! It's that simple! Baiting and switching is illegal! Sign here and we will give you this, then you sign and get nothing - nope sorry homey doesnt play that!

I dont think they are slumlords, its a nice home, but they are very crappy landlords with no business in the business!
Do not use the word "slumlord" or I will take a tactic and give you visuals that will make your grandma cry... DEAL... sheesh.. people think they have it bad and they DO NOT KNOW what GOES ON in this world. OMG.. I am just begging a post from IAAL And I DO NOT CARE. there are wrongs to be righted and I will do it... No matter what... so there you hard a$$ed people.

( This was not to JETX or Homeguru or anyone else that has known to be the hard butted people... but SLUM LORD has been tossed around and has not been addressed here yet.. I know it. I have fought it and it has not been here.)
cockaroaches.. yuck... yeah.. who brought them in?.. litigable. why the tenant waited so long? hmmm... why they were not in the house before debatable.

Why a tenant wants to fight something that they cannot fight really, and all of of a sudden think they can?.. well Who is beside them Nobody... They think they can come here.
If the tenant has a chance And it is good I will help them. If it is dubious, I will tell them it is. If it has a half-assed hang-nail.. well I let them hang by it.
I do not give anyone anything but the facts, Mam.. I have An uncle named Friday... And well.. I kinda like the inference...
I am NOT a lawyer, never said I was... but I have delt and do not like to have to deal. I just want to help. Is that a crime.. Yet?

BL

goaded said:
Whats up your crawl?

The thing YOU need to understand is Just because " Someone " ( including a Landlord ) tells you I'll do this and I'll do that , does not make that Statements legally binding .

Sign here and we will give you this ?

Then you state Sign this ( their promises ) , then I'll sign that .. :D

Works both ways .. Right ? You need to protect you , Just as they protect themselves .

Homey hasn't got a pot to piss in unless these are code violations , then MAYBE , just MAYBE , they will get repaired .

SLUMLORD !!!!!!!!!! Ok , maybe not all are SLUMS , but It appears Landlords that rent to underprivileged persons , like calling the tenants BUMS , so what goes around comes around .

Enasni , you post was almost readable , but I'll let it past . I've had my days too ... :eek:

ENASNI

Blonde Lebinese said:
Enasni , you post was almost readable , but I'll let it past . I've had my days too ... :eek:
It was bad wasn't it... sorry :eek: I would erase it or edit it but... well... :(

excuse... it was late??? what is with the times on this website anyway. it is 7:08 here and this post is posting at 5:26 am? I have my time to be posting at Pacific Standard Time... a Glitch or something. I think I posted that last one at 11:00 or so. hmmm anyway. no excuses my Mother always said.

Last edited:

goaded

Thanks for hijacking the thread with all that slum BS !!!

I guess its their word against ours - screw em if they dont want to repair the home thats their choice!

However according the the IN TL Law - The landlord is obligated to keep the HVAC in good and safe working condition. One of the items I have asked be repaired are broken registers - 2 of them stick up out of the floor - we have 2 small children one has already fallen cutting his head and foot.

As a result of that injury we placed a footstool over the register - so now its not safe AND not functioning properly!

They can refuse everything else, but they will NOT continue to refuse us of that! If they do I am going to get famous!

ENASNI

goaded said:
Thanks for hijacking the thread with all that slum BS !!!
You are so welcome!
- we have 2 small children one has already fallen cutting his head and foot.
Owie, hope he is okay.
As a result of that injury we placed a footstool over the register - so now its not safe AND not functioning properly!
As a result? I am sorry, as a RESULT? You did not think of this before with two small children running around I think that is child endangerment. Plus you have a dog that could have gotten hurt. Someone call Animal control.

If they do I am going to get famous! Yeah, the CPS are gonna all know you by first last and middle name if you do not take care of those kids.
Um, you just do not want to pay more for the dog so your laundry list of things wrong is just getting longer. You moved into the house in that condition and did not get them to sign anything that made them responsible.
You were a very silly person not to have done that.

goaded

I could careless about a few extra dollars!

We knew of the registers prior to moving in, yes, they promised to repair them. That was long before we got a pet.

My son has been injured as a result of the broken registers! If they refuse to repair them they will find themselves in court.

If youre looking to argue with me, I can assure you that youve more than met your match! I am in no mood to toy with ants <squash>

Last edited:

BL

If youre looking to argue with me, I can assure you that youve more than met your match! I am in no mood to toy with ants <squash>
And you know how many times the LL and I went around in arguments ?

You know what that changed ?

I told you , call code inspectors , unless homey has something to hide . <squash>

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">