• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Refuses to Set Move Out Inspection Date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Satelite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My landlord who owns only my property is refusing to set a move out inspection date with me. I asked her nicely through e-mail but she ignored the request. I sent her a notice through certified mail giving her a two week deadline to set the inspection.

I am fairly sure she will not do this since she refused to do one for the previous tenants and in turn kept their security deposit. They have a judgment against her for the money since she didn't show up in court.They can't collect it since she closed her bank account after the judgment and is self employed.

What should I do when I move out? I am sure she is going to trump up a bunch of items to equal the amount of the deposit.

The only info I can find regards people who manage more than 10 properties. People with one seem to be able to get away with anything.

Thanks for your help.

Gail in Georgia

You are correct that landlords in Georgia who have less than 10 rental properties have some requirements that are different than those with greater than 10.

However, what makes you think that an inspection reduces your risk of a landlord coming up with damages after you've vacated the rental? States allow landlords a certain number of days to provide a former tenant with information regarding their security deposit/damages. In Georgia this is one month after vacating the unit.

Often the exit inspection is not the end all in terms of inspecting for damages. This time factor allows a landlord to reinspect the unit again after a tenant has left.

You can avoid problems by taking a number of pictures of your rental at move out and keeping this in a safe place. Then if you end up disputing what your landlord claims are damages, you'll have proof should you decide to file a lawsuit against her.

Gail

Cvillecpm

Unless state law required the landlord to provide an assessment of damages at the time of the inspection, the inspection SHOULD be used by the residents to explain WHY the property is in the condition it is in.....NOT how much money they will receive from their deposit.

Satelite

If she won't set a time to meet me how can I return the keys? I have rented from other individuals and they always wanted to do a walk through and get the keys.

I don't think the walk through will keep her from coming up with damages. I haven't damaged the place beyond normal wear and tear. The previous tenants advised me to take photos of everything when I move out.

This person has been very difficult from day 1 and got even more difficult after I informed them I was moving out.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

FarmerJ

If the LL refuses to come to get the keys on your last day send the keys via confirmed mail delivery at the post office, NO one has to sign for them send them via Confirmed mail then call the LL and tell them the keys were sent via this method , IF LL still refuses to pick up the mail from the post office keep it in tact NOT opened and save it for court, the LL can then explain to a court why it was not possible for them to collect the mail. Pics of everything , inside all cabs and closets, inside the fridge , oven , toilet bowl , treat the unit as if your going to have to prove to a court that the unit was left in good order and if the court gives you a judgement , speak to a atty about what it would take to get a lien placed on the structure or any other real estate the LL owns.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">