• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord refusing to renew lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srai123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

PA

I signed a lease last year for an apt. I had insufficient credit and was asked to get a cosigner which I did. I was subsequently approved for the lease. Its time now for renewing the lease and I was told by the leasing office that, I do not qualify for a lease renewal due to insufficient credit and I cannot have a cosigner to compensate for that. In addition, I was informed that my lease from last year shouldn't have been issued because technically I shouldn't have been allowed a cosigner. A cosigner is only allowed in case of bad-credit NOT insufficient credit.

Does this sound consistent with prevalent leasing procedures?

I live in Phila, PA

Any help would be great.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

PA

I signed a lease last year for an apt. I had insufficient credit and was asked to get a cosigner which I did. I was subsequently approved for the lease. Its time now for renewing the lease and I was told by the leasing office that, I do not qualify for a lease renewal due to insufficient credit and I cannot have a cosigner to compensate for that. In addition, I was informed that my lease from last year shouldn't have been issued because technically I shouldn't have been allowed a cosigner. A cosigner is only allowed in case of bad-credit NOT insufficient credit.

Does this sound consistent with prevalent leasing procedures?

I live in Phila, PA

Any help would be great.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So, have you started looking for a new apartment yet?

FarmerJ

Unless you can find in your states laws any language that restricts a LLs reasons for non renewal your kind of stuck, If you have had a good history with zero late rent payments your free to ask them to reconsider the non renewal based on good payment history, very few places have state laws that restrict LLs reasons for non renewal. I dont believe your state does , (you have to double check it your self) that said start hunting for a new place to live before you are out of time and see to it you leave the current place clean and take pics of its final condition so you have a record of the way you left it. ( if they allowed a co signer in the past even if it was a mistake they dont have to allow it again)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">