• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord rent/security deposit/late fees issues PLEASE HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LMGreer1986

State is Pennsylvania.

A new landlord came and bought the place I am renting now back in November. He came in, hiked the rent up 200 dollars a month, and has done nothing to the place but that is besides the point. I made a deal with him, since I could not pay for the entire security deposit, to have it distributed into my rent each month. He understood at the lease signing I am on unemployment and am disabled, and collect those checks every month. He had no problem working with me. It has been hard to pay for it each month, but I have made every effort to pay as much as I can, and I have paid each month in full. I have been late some months because of the swings in unemployment, and he has been charging 50 dollars or more each month for late fees. He has also decided to go to court with me each month I am late now, and is forcing me to pay those fees which are 150 dollars. He is cutting my feet off where I stand and he comes over every day, or calls every day, to try and pry every last penny from me. I can barely afford to eat because I am so afraid of getting evicted.

My question is very simple. Can i do anything about this to get him off my back? I am trying to get a job in this horrible economy and am trying my best to pay rent and the security deposit. I have been putting so much money towards him and I cannot stand to pay for the court fees on top of it. Please help me anyway you can. Thank you for your time.

--Lynda

BL

Are/were you month to month renter when he purchased the property ,or was there still a long term lease ?

Regardless , the LL has a right to legal remedies for non payment , partial payment ,late fees , if you signed and agreed to them .

The LL has NO obligation to let you slide on a verbal agreement and non payment of full rent .

LMGreer1986

I am a month to month renter and have a lease signed until November. I understand he has the right by the lease, but I am not sure if verbal harassment constant court filings are in the lease. If I am paying every little thing I can, even the late fees, how is he able to continue to constantly harass me and take me to court over 50 dollars? I pay the rent in full each month, even if it is late and then with the added late fees I still pay that. :confused:

BL

I am a month to month renter and have a lease signed until November. I understand he has the right by the lease, but I am not sure if verbal harassment constant court filings are in the lease. If I am paying every little thing I can, even the late fees, how is he able to continue to constantly harass me and take me to court over 50 dollars? I pay the rent in full each month, even if it is late and then with the added late fees I still pay that. :confused:
First ,if the new owner took over during the long term lease dates ( Start date /end date ) he can not increase the rent ,unless you both agree in writing to an amendment .

Secondly ,yes he can keep requesting his rent ,and yes he's entitled to take you to court .

I would advise you if he continues with every month advise the court that he is allowing you to pay this way , but is trying to get as much money out of you as he can .

Perhaps the Judge will be sympathetic for a time being .

Secondly , if you are still within your original long term lease dates ,request any overpayment ( the 200.00 increase) to be applied toward the original amounts of rent ,and state you will only pay what the lease terms dictate.

Again you may have to bring this to the attention of the court for remedy - a counter suit .

http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Penn/harris/pa-part1.html

Were you given written notice of the rent icrease ?

What's the story ?

Last edited:

LMGreer1986

I am sorry Zigner. I am in a lease from November to October.

Let me try and make this a bit clearer. I signed a lease in November of 2008 and when that least expired in October of 2009, I had signed another. The new landlord became my landlord as of the new lease, so it was agreed upon. I understand I am liable for rent and all fees imposed, but I was asking for advice on how to go about dealing with the landlord. I pay what he charges me every month down to my last penny, and he continues to add on late fees and court fees to try and squeeze every last penny out of me and I cannot afford it. I am going to go down to the district court to try and figure something out. Thank you for your advice BL, I really appreciate it.

Searchertwin

The LL only want what is due. So asking for his money is not verbal harassment or filing numerous filings. He could take you to court over $1.00 if he wanted to. Nothing illegal about that or harassment. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to put a saying in a lease that a tenant can cry "harassment" if he wants to ask for his money, or indicate the number of times he can file a suit against you. Sorry about not meeting your rent in these hard times, but you are not the only one. One shouldn't make it the LL problems. Take care..

JETX

I am a month to month renter and have a lease signed until November.
HUH??
If you have a lease until November, you are NOT a month-to-month. You need to contact your local legal aid and get them involved in your case. It sounds like your landlord is taking advantage of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">