• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Request document stating length of stay - then a twist.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SOGVET7

What is the name of your state? SC
I'm a father of 3 with a wife in ill health. After one year of renting I agreed to a month to month lease with our landlord. Only a month ago he asked me to furnish him with a letter for his bank stating that my wife and I would agree to staying 9 to 10 months barring any unforseen circumstances on our part - job relocation, natural disaster etc. My wife and I both signed this and sent it to him - I made a copy and the day I sent it. My landlord said he recevied it. My landlord and I have had a very good relationship. I even have a document he sent me saying so but he also stated he want to start showing the house b/c he wants to sell it. My wife and I said that we wanted the 9 to 10 months to get our finances together and look at buying a home just not this one. He wants to show the house and we have already said no not on that day. We don't want to have to show the house on 24 hours notice with my wife's condition nor have to move sooner than we are ready. Does the letter he asked for hold any merit that would help us point to the fact that he wanted reassurace that we were going to stay for the next 9 - 10 months?

xylene

SOGVET7 said:
What is the name of your state? SC
I'm a father of 3 with a wife in ill health. After one year of renting I agreed to a month to month lease with our landlord. Only a month ago he asked me to furnish him with a letter for his bank stating that my wife and I would agree to staying 9 to 10 months barring any unforseen circumstances on our part - job relocation, natural disaster etc. My wife and I both signed this and sent it to him - I made a copy and the day I sent it. My landlord said he recevied it. My landlord and I have had a very good relationship. I even have a document he sent me saying so but he also stated he want to start showing the house b/c he wants to sell it. My wife and I said that we wanted the 9 to 10 months to get our finances together and look at buying a home just not this one. He wants to show the house and we have already said no not on that day. We don't want to have to show the house on 24 hours notice with my wife's condition nor have to move sooner than we are ready. Does the letter he asked for hold any merit that would help us point to the fact that he wanted reassurace that we were going to stay for the next 9 - 10 months?

Your landlord has the right to show the house. Period.

Even If you had a full blown lease, he would be within his rights to show it with 24 hours notice.

I am very doubtful that your letter would stand up in court, if LL tried to hold you to it or vice versa.

Your landlord may show the property, but you are under ZERO obligation to help him show it, leave when buyers arrive or do anything. Live just like you want. If landlord askes you to tidy up, demand he pay for a maid service to clean what YOU want and nothing else.

You are at an impass either way. Landlord only need give 30 days notice and vice versa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">