• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Requesting Additional Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phalangees

Hello,

I am living in La Crosse, WI. I believe my landlord is attempting to take advantage of my fellow tenants and I.

Back when I signed the lease, there was 1 tenant who was staying in the apartment from the previous year. We were told that her security deposit would "roll over" and cover for this year. The rest of us paid the remaining amount of the security deposit.

The lease started on June 1st of 2010, and spans until May 23, 2011. On December 1st, 6 months after the start of the lease, we received a notification that we owe an additional $220 for the security deposit that was supposed to roll over. The notification claims that all of the previous security deposit was spent on doing repairs to the apartment. There is no way that a full $1300 security deposit was spent repairing this place. I was the first one in the apartment, and it was completely trashed. No cleaning had been done before moving in. They have made a few repairs since I have moved in, such as cleaning the carpets, replacing the blinds, and painting the walls, but a majority of the things have not been completed, or have been done by myself and fellow tenants.

Can I lawfully request an invoice of repairs that were done including labor to show that it totaled the $1300 from last year. Also, is it legal to request this money 6 months after the lease started? They should have been aware of these costs before we even moved in.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">