• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jamieb

due to a severe storm, the rugs in my tenants basement apartment were flooded. the apartment is inhabitable. what are my legal obligations to my tenant? we would like him to move his things out so we can begin clean up and repair, but he says he has no place to put them as he is staying with friends. we have no insurance to cover this and it will take us time to do the work ourselves. can we terminate his lease with proper notice? we have a tenant at will agreement and live in massachusetts and would rather not continue leasing the apartment. also, can we expect any rent for the 22 days he lived there before the flood?

L

LL

I don't know anything about MA law, but I would think that the the answers to your 2 questions are Yes and Yes.

Yes, it seems that you ought to be able to terminate a tenancy at will with proper notice, and Yes, you ought to be able to recieve rent for the days before the flood when the apartment was still habitable.

M

mary hartman

Is the apartment legal? If you were in NY you would have to pay for ALL of the tenants moving AND living expenses and you would NOT be able to collect any rent if the apartment was not legal, and you would have to return the security IN FULL!

A Legal apt. here means the apartment must be on the certificate of occupancy AND you must have a seperate electric meter.

J

jamieb

yes, the apartment is legal and the tenant plans to stay there while we are trying to clean and repair the damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">