• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtmm1333

What is the name of your state? RI. I was served a notice for eviction, it did not state why, My rent was paid to date and I have no rental agreement, I have been here for 10years, the house has been quick deeded 3 times to family memebrs to avoid IRS leins, I responded to the eviction with a lawsuit for repairs i had to make, example i had to replace the furnace, I have upwards of 9000 in repairs, landlord can not show one reciept for any money spent on this house, so after responding i got a letter from his lawyer dening my claims and it says Motion to assign now comes the plantiff and moves that this goes to trial on june 24th then to me and my wife below ( which he has her incorect name) please take notice that the motion within will be called for a hearing on June 19th if objection is served and filed at least 2 days before the time specified in occordance to DCR 7 (b) (3) otherwise said motion will be granted this was mailed to me regular mail I don't know what to do next do I go the 19th my rent is paid for june, everytime i mentioned reimbursement he tries to eveict, he refuses to give me a phone # I have copies of letters i sent over the years for repairs that were ignored, my original landlord disapeared without notice, I found a copy of a IRS lein for 700hundred thousand thats why he screwed but quick deeded to his grandfather, what do i do next I would like to get alawyer if needed to get an extention of time

BL

Why would you put over 9 grand of repairs in over all these years ?

The Code enforcement would have forced the repairs , and if not repaired you could have moved .

This is too big for small claims .

Consult a civil suit Lawyer .

The eviction and your claim for repairs would most likely have to be litigated separately .

If you can show the court the eviction is in retaliation for asking compensation for repairs , it might buy you some time before you have to move .

Alaska landlord

I would have evicted you based on performing repairs or modifications to the property without my consent. Since you don't have a lease, no reason for eviction is necessary.

jtmm1333

Should have explained better

Your response that you would of evict is typical landlord talk, I have had 3 landlords all the same family who have been chased by IRS for not paying thier taxes, you have familys that live in fear of being on the street affraid of opening thier mouths because of you slumlords, you say stupid things like you did, but when tennants complain you throw them out! the laws are landlord friendly, my first 3 years here I had a landlord who was a jerk, then he disappeared come to find out the IRS is after him for 700 thosand in back taxes, i sent letters, I had no ph# we liked it here, he quick deeded the house to his grandfather to avoid IRS, never told me I just sent the ck each month to a diff po box every couple of years, I'd get a letter saying make ck's out to this name and mail to this add! yea i could raise a stink but in the end when you piss them off they throw you out,I have lived in 2 places for 26years, maybe you like moving every other year to prove a point but sry i like stability, in winter of 2005 furnace broke, I had no PH to contact just a po box, so do i go to court to get a furnace or do i replace it and fight for the money later,when I mentioned getting reimbursed I'm threatened with eveiction, do i hold back rent, can't eviction, yea I like buying a furnace for someone else, landlords have tennants by the sack, then i have to pay for a lawyer and try and prove all this, this is a unique situation,they got this house for 3200 bucks from a tax sale no mortgage but it's in tax sale every year! i'm in a neighborhood of 300 thousand dollar homes, I hear the comments from neighbors because this scumbag don't care. you make it sound like it would be so easy to fight him, yea I put in a brand new furnace and you say you would evict me,for doing it, sry kids wrap yourself in blankets while I wait for a letter from the landlord! In court 6 months ago took me there for a 50 dollar admin fee I asked him with his lawyer standing there for his ph# woulden't give it to me, I asked him there about the furnace, his lawyer said I thought you said you would like to stay there, I was told to save all reciepts and when i leave to fight for reimbursment, which i'm doing and I get posts from idiots like you

BL

The correct way to have handled this would have been to call code inspections ASAP .

They should have landlord's contact info .

If you needed to you could have went to the State's Social Services and got emergency assistances .

You could have looked up your rights , called a housing counsel , consulted with a lawyer referral services , Etc . to find out your rights on repair and deduct .

If the LL tried to evict you through the court , and knew you complained to a Gov. or code inspections , it would be looked at as retaliation .

You NEED to learn and gain legal knowledge of the State's LL/tent rights and responsibilities .

Your going to have to consult a civil law Attorney.

Alaska landlord

Your decision to spend monies on a property you do not own was a poor decision. You LL needs to remind you that 10 years on a property does not entitle you to rights of modification.

Your response is typical of tenants that have been renting out a property longer than a landlord should have allowed. I suppose there must be a name for the syndrome associated with your problem.

BTW, what is it about a month to month agreement that you do not understand.?

I will tell you a little about furnaces. I have an old furnace in a building that two companies told me that I needed to purchase of knew one because it was beyond repair. A Plumber that I hired for some other problem in the same apartment notice that the apartment was too cold an asked what the problem was. He took a look at it and had it working within a few minutes.

For all the landlrord knows, you replaced a furnace because your thermostat went bad.

jtmm1333

Barking at the moon!

On the furnace issue, I had no heat, right outside of the grate was black soot, I called the Providence gas company, a tech came inside as he turned it on flames burst out of the grate, he shut off the gas and said we have to leave immediately, he proceded outside and shut gas off at meter to make sure I did not try to start it, I begged him to let me stay till next day, I had no ph# for land lord, I drove to PO in prov and hand delivered a letter to his PO box, The next day no call from him, so i had two choices, pack up my 3 kids wife and go somewhere, or get an emergency heating guy there I did that and replaced furnace, landlord never responded to the hand delivered letter, was going to hold the next months rent decided not to wife was affraid, you can say all you want about filing complaints in the end tennant is screwed, landlord tennant book states they must provide Ph # I wrote a complaint about that and drove it to Kent County courthouse 4 weeks ago, never called me what to do next, get a lawyer letter from him denying all my claims and move for eviction. no need to respond to this, it's like talking to him, it's just like Criminal court Victim is screwed, all the rights go to the scum, so we are trying to buy now, with all the foreclousers legislators should revisit tennant laws, how about a law that states if rent is paid and you don't violate agreement then you can't evict, but no slumlords can disrupt families just cause they don't like you, maybe i should do what all the liberals do Blame Bush for all my problems, in closing all's I can do is say like, I hope slumlords have heart attacks tonite, how's that! Have a nice day, and remember if they complain EVICT!!!!

Alaska landlord

Let me dumb it down further;

1. Month to month tenants can be evicted in most states for no reason. If you wanted security you should have signed a lease.

2. Gas company tech is not qualified to determine if the furnace needed to be replace.

3. Removal and replacement of furnace was not authorized and probably not even warrented.

4. Repair and deduct procedure must be done according to state set guidelines. You did not follow protocol and therefore where in violation of your lease. The LL can sue you for the cost of a replacement furnace of egual value. I suggest you don't even think about trying to skip out with his new furnace.

I simply can not understand posters who use no puncuation.

Your story may be compelling.

I may be able to learn something from it.

But it is unreadable.

jtmm1333

Dismissed!!!

Thats right, This is JTMM1333, Hey Alaska, went to court today for my eviction,I alone took on the landlord and his Attorney, the judge dismissed it, I diden't even get to the retaliation part, he dismissed it because the landlord said the eviction was for May 1st, I sent him May's rent, I also sent him June's rent. his lawyer before court hands me my moneyorders back, my eyes got huge, what a Dumb lawyer! You can't except rent for the month you want me out, I don't care if you cash it or not, After he dismissed it the landlord hid from me in a small room, the coward, then his lawyer comes up to me and says 'You know I knew that law" now what does that tell you? He also said I will have to eventually leave. I said with you as his lawyer I'll be in there till after Xmas, he got pissed! Just a small victory against Abusive landlords like the guy who calls himself Alaska, by the way if you live in Alaska, i'll bet you that you have dental issues! see ya after my next victory. Tenants if you believe your Right then FIGHT!!!:

reenzz

So without a lease, I suspect that you will now receive a 30 day notice to vacate. So pay your rent for July, leave by July 31st and all will be well. Without a lease, how on earth do you plan to sit there till after Christmas.

BTW...why are you trying so hard to stay in a place run by (and I quote you) a "scumbag", "abusive", "slumlord"?

clch

So without a lease, I suspect that you will now receive a 30 day notice to vacate. So pay your rent for July, leave by July 31st and all will be well. Without a lease, how on earth do you plan to sit there till after Christmas.
Precisely. Month-to-month means exactly that. It isn't "evictable only for cause" or something like that. It's an at-will arrangement, nothing more.

BL

The LL made a mistake of keeping the M/O for the rent period after notice was given ,and not returning it to you in the mail .

Instead , the LL kept 2 months , and his Attorney gave them to you right then and there in the court house .

Now you will have to hope the court rules retaliation on the next court date .

( that's how this poster is hoping to hang in there ) .

Alaska landlord

Thats right, This is JTMM1333, Hey Alaska, went to court today for my eviction,I alone took on the landlord and his Attorney, the judge dismissed it, I diden't even get to the retaliation part, he dismissed it because the landlord said the eviction was for May 1st, I sent him May's rent, I also sent him June's rent. his lawyer before court hands me my moneyorders back, my eyes got huge, what a Dumb lawyer! You can't except rent for the month you want me out, I don't care if you cash it or not, After he dismissed it the landlord hid from me in a small room, the coward, then his lawyer comes up to me and says 'You know I knew that law" now what does that tell you? He also said I will have to eventually leave. I said with you as his lawyer I'll be in there till after Xmas, he got pissed! Just a small victory against Abusive landlords like the guy who calls himself Alaska, by the way if you live in Alaska, i'll bet you that you have dental issues! see ya after my next victory. Tenants if you believe your Right then FIGHT!!!:
Start packing you will be handed a notice anytime now. You're LL will not be stupid enough to accept the rent for August. Find yourself a nice K-mart shopping cart for your belongings and don't forget to feed the pigeons!

applecruncher

Dental issues? :confused:

jtmm1333, you have your own issues; among them punctuation.

Oh, I don't know about K-Mart, but a lot of stores have started using those carts that have rods attached to deter theft of carts. Just a heads up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">