• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord/roommate dies. Brother wants me out.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yhileman

W
hat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mighigan,Kalamazoo

My roommate/landlord passed away Thurs. 18, 2009. We lived together, plotonically, for 17 years. Both of us confirmed bachlors with no children. His brother is his only living relative, verbally announced that I had 30 days to valcate the premise on Fri. 19,2009.

I have never signed a lease, or paid rent, utilities, ect.. I am a U.S. Vietnam veteran. I sufferer depression and am legally deaf. I work approximately 30 hours a month.

I have enough money for a months worth of food. What are my rights?

I don't believe I was mentioned in his will.(Not even sure if he had a will)

He owned his own home, outright, and sold his share of a entertainment company a few months ago.

Any advise would be appreciated!

Banned_Princess

The executor of the estate has to issue you a written notice to vacate, and until he writes you about rent (if he even wants to do that) you dont have to pay any..

Your comfortable nitch of ease is about to be over.

Sorry for your loss.

Contact your local social services.

Cvillecpm

You are entitled to a 30 day written notice from the executor of the estate OR new owner and you need to start looking for a new place ASAP

sandyclaus

A written Notice to Quit must be presented to you by the executor of the estate or rightful owner of the premises in order to legally evict you from the premises. The reason for the issuance of a Notice to Quit determines the minimum amount of time between issuance of that notice and the time when someone can file an eviction action in court. Since there is no specific lease or payment of rent in place, then they must give no less than 30 days notice to vacate before taking legal action.

If they elect to evict, a NOTARIZED copy of the served Notice to Quit must be filed with the court to start, so if one doesn't exist they will be out of gas.

Sounds like your free rent situation is now over with the death of your roommate. Time to figure out how to cover rent in his absence now. As others have suggested, check into social service agencies to see what assistance is available to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">