• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord rules not in rental agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My friends boyfriend of 2 years stays at her house alot-almost always. Her landlord is telling that she can't have him staying there. There is nothing in her rental agreement that covers this. Does the landlord have a legal right to do this?

BL

Well it depends what your State laws say about having one other occupant is allowed.

After a period of more than 2 weeks or habitual staying there , he may be seen as an occupant .

NC Aggie

It depends on the laws in your state and the terms of the lease agreement. It's quite common though that some apartments/LL require that all adult "occupants" of rental properties be listed on the lease.

Hot Topic

Did the landlord have the opportunity to investigate the boyfriend's background or did she just give him the okay to stay there whenever he pleased?

I think most people would side with the landlord.

applecruncher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My friends boyfriend of 2 years stays at her house alot-almost always. Her landlord is telling that she can't have him staying there. There is nothing in her rental agreement that covers this. Does the landlord have a legal right to do this?
Let's forget the "friend" camouflage. Let's also forget about making it seem like landlord is suddenly coming up with some wierd quirky rules.

"a lot, almost always" means he lives there. If you wanted to move your boyfriend in with you, you should have listed him as an occupant. Talk to the landlord about doing that (revising the lease). She has the right to approve/disapprove who lives in her property.

Hope he's helping with the rent and other bills; otherwise I look forward to seeing you on Judge Judy.

Last edited:

NC Aggie

Let's forget the "friend" camouflage. Let's also forget about making it seem like landlord is suddenly coming up with some wierd quirky rules.

"a lot, almost always" means he lives there. If you wanted to move your boyfriend in with you, you should have listed him as an occupant. Talk to the landlord about doing that (revising the lease). She has the right to approve/disapprove who lives in her property.

Hope he's helping with the rent and other bills; otherwise I look forward to seeing you on Judge Judy.
OUCH!! lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">