• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord says 'no open windows'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

orangestorm

My landlord doesn't want any of our windows opened at all. Ever. The windows aren't sealed shut. There are no screens on them. I don't remember seeing anything about it in the rental agreement, although I could be wrong. Can he legally prohibit me from opening a window?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

orangestorm said:
My landlord doesn't want any of our windows opened at all. Ever. The windows aren't sealed shut. There are no screens on them. I don't remember seeing anything about it in the rental agreement, although I could be wrong.
My response:

Do you think your landlord is related to Joan Crawford?

IAAL

FarmerJ

If your windows were designed to be opened you should be able to do so . Your landlord cannot tell you to keep windows that were designed to be opened , closed all the time . Now If those windows were also designed to have screens and they dont send your landlord a letter (keep copy for self )that you want the window screens that belong to those windows put in in the next few days . Sending the letter out where you get a confirmation of delivery . See its sort of like having a deadbolt on a door and being told no you cant use it . Wich is nonsense . If your landlord refuses to honor the request call your city county govt center and ask for a housing inspector to speak with . If they come out and find no reason for you not to open windows and that there are missing screens they will order him to make repairs . Ask them about getting a copy of the report from any visit they make to your unit .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">