• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord selling apt, trying to raise rent for final month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fluffdoll4

This is in Washington state.

I've shared a 5 bedroom house with the landlord for 4 years. He and his partner are the only other occupants and right now there are no other tenants (or havent been in 2 years)

So I got roughly 2 weeks notice that he was putting the place on the market, and within a few days after showing it, the house went into escrow- which will probably take a couple more weeks.

Anyway, the landlord, who USED to be my friend, thinks that I should pay roughly triple my normal rent for the last month because he feels it is partially my responsibility to pay for the professional cleaning crew he hired to make the house spotless for the showings. I always keep my room and bathroom neat and tidy and in fact the cleaners didn't even bother to enter my room because they looked and said there was nothing to clean.

I told the landlord that I would pay the same rent we had agreed to for the last 8 months (my lease is month to month) and he flew into an indignant rage and threw my rent check back at me saying "I don't want your ****ing money. Get out."

I have known this guy for nearly a decade, and considered him a very close friend. I know for a fact that he is making nearly 200k in pure profit on the sale of this house, and suddenly he has turned into some Jeckyll and Hyde monster of greed.

Does a windfall profit do this to landlords often? Did I miss something? Should I have willingly paid 3x my normal rent to cover his closing/professional cleaning expenses? (stuff like the exterior windows, his filthy bathroom, etc)

Why would anyone behave like that? I am at a total loss for words. I certainly won't be getting any kind of good recommendation from him for my new apartment, which I am struggling to find right now (and trying to find a way to afford the move, I havent even had 30 days notice since the day he said he was going to sell it)

ARGH.

Cvillecpm

S--T rolls downhill and unfortunately you are downhill.

Make arrangements to move ASAP and offer your landlord the rent for the pro-rated time you were at the property.

In most cases, he owes you a 30 day written notice to terminate your tenancy; however, your situation as disintergrated considerable so you should vacant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">