• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling home can i break my lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danpedraza

What is the name of your state? New York Bronx County
I moved into my 3 bedroom apartment On May 1st 2007. I sighed a 1 year lease. My landlord just listed the house for sale because he made a mistake and does not want to have tenants. Its me,a school social worker, my wife and 2 daughters aged 11 and 15.
When we first moved in that the landlord does not live in the tenement for six months out of a year. This turned out to be a lie because he moved in permanently within a week of our moving in. Since then there have been many incidences which have occurred, that have caused us to feel unsafe and insecure. The worst being recently where they continue to state that we cannot have visitors, not play music or make any kind of noise.
As of October 5th, 2007 they posted a for sale sign on their home. As a result I approached the realtor who helped us move in, to confirm the sign and our landlord's intentions. They confirmed that they intend to purchase another home, upon selling this one. My concern is that they continue to be elusive about the reason for selling the house. When i confronted them they said they were not selling the house just trying to see how much it would get in the open market? This is a lie because the listing agent even told us that they intend to buy another home and that they do not wish to have tenants. My lease runs to April. they have 2 months security deposit. How can i move out of this lease? I found another apartment right next door and the home is not for sale.

Happy Trails

What is the name of your state? New York Bronx County
I moved into my 3 bedroom apartment On May 1st 2007. I sighed a 1 year lease. My landlord just listed the house for sale because he made a mistake and does not want to have tenants. Its me,a school social worker, my wife and 2 daughters aged 11 and 15.
When we first moved in that the landlord does not live in the tenement for six months out of a year. This turned out to be a lie because he moved in permanently within a week of our moving in. Since then there have been many incidences which have occurred, that have caused us to feel unsafe and insecure. The worst being recently where they continue to state that we cannot have visitors, not play music or make any kind of noise.
As of October 5th, 2007 they posted a for sale sign on their home. As a result I approached the realtor who helped us move in, to confirm the sign and our landlord's intentions. They confirmed that they intend to purchase another home, upon selling this one. My concern is that they continue to be elusive about the reason for selling the house. When i confronted them they said they were not selling the house just trying to see how much it would get in the open market? This is a lie because the listing agent even told us that they intend to buy another home and that they do not wish to have tenants. My lease runs to April. they have 2 months security deposit. How can i move out of this lease? I found another apartment right next door and the home is not for sale.

You have a lease that is a binding contract. Whether or not the landlord sells, doesn't make a difference. The new owners will become your new landlord.

However, if your landlord now agrees to let you out of your lease, then that may be an option you could try to pursue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">