• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling home- we want to leave! (and landlord not repairing problems)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renterinohio

What is the name of your state? Ohio

We have been living in this house for over 3 years. Our lease has a clause stating that it automatically renews for a year, if notice isn't given before the lease ends.
We have major leaking in the basement. It would be near impossible to leave the house for a vacation- we have to use the sump pump any time it rains even moderately. We told the landlord in Feb (our lease renewed the beginning of April) that we did not want to stay unless the water problems were fixed. He promised they would be fixed, and hired someone (this was after a year of asking him repeatedly to please fix the basement), but it still floods like before.
He had told us we could renew on a month to month basis, but now denies saying that.
Our kitchen sink has been leaking for months- it leaks at least a gallon a day, onto the wood underneath. Under the sink is completely covered in buckets, but the water sprays so the wood still gets soaked. Landlord tried to fix it, but made it worse. He says he's getting someone to come this week, but he's said that every week for the last 6 weeks.
The house smells mildewy, and sometimes the basement is unusable. Our business is in he basement. The landlord raised our rent when we moved the business in. In my mind, that means that he has to make sure the basement is usable as a business. Is that true?

Oh, everything I've read about putting rent in escrow says it doesn't apply to landlords with fewer than 4 rentals. And this guy only has one or two.
What can we do to get these things fixed? I have a 2yo, and am worried about the mold.

So, he's selling the house. We'd like to leave asap, because we have an opportunity in another state. Our lease has a clause that says that he can have us leave with 60 days notice if he's selling the house.
Is there any chance that the lease could be transferred to the new owners?
Is there anything that we have to do to ensure that we aren't obligated to stay in the house under the new owners? (its being sold as a commercial property, btw. I'm just worried that they will want us to stay until they get everything settled to demolish the house and rebuild a business.)
I think the landlord will cooperate with us, unless of course it is in his best financial interest to do otherwise. So the sooner we get this all straightened out, the better.

I know this is long, so thank you if you've gotten this far :)
I'd appreciate any advice about any of this.
Thanks!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
renterinohio said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

We have been living in this house for over 3 years. Our lease has a clause stating that it automatically renews for a year, if notice isn't given before the lease ends.
We have major leaking in the basement. It would be near impossible to leave the house for a vacation- we have to use the sump pump any time it rains even moderately. We told the landlord in Feb (our lease renewed the beginning of April) that we did not want to stay unless the water problems were fixed. He promised they would be fixed, and hired someone (this was after a year of asking him repeatedly to please fix the basement), but it still floods like before.
He had told us we could renew on a month to month basis, but now denies saying that.
Our kitchen sink has been leaking for months- it leaks at least a gallon a day, onto the wood underneath. Under the sink is completely covered in buckets, but the water sprays so the wood still gets soaked. Landlord tried to fix it, but made it worse. He says he's getting someone to come this week, but he's said that every week for the last 6 weeks.
The house smells mildewy, and sometimes the basement is unusable. Our business is in he basement. The landlord raised our rent when we moved the business in. In my mind, that means that he has to make sure the basement is usable as a business. Is that true?

Oh, everything I've read about putting rent in escrow says it doesn't apply to landlords with fewer than 4 rentals. And this guy only has one or two.
What can we do to get these things fixed? I have a 2yo, and am worried about the mold.

So, he's selling the house. We'd like to leave asap, because we have an opportunity in another state. Our lease has a clause that says that he can have us leave with 60 days notice if he's selling the house.
Is there any chance that the lease could be transferred to the new owners?

the lease does transfer to the new owners. If he wants you out he should have to pay you to leave.

Is there anything that we have to do to ensure that we aren't obligated to stay in the house under the new owners? (its being sold as a commercial property, btw. I'm just worried that they will want us to stay until they get everything settled to demolish the house and rebuild a business.)

Legally they HAVE TO ALLOW you to stay since you have a lease. You can ask if they will let you out of the lease but they can say no and hold you to it.

I think the landlord will cooperate with us, unless of course it is in his best financial interest to do otherwise. So the sooner we get this all straightened out, the better.

I know this is long, so thank you if you've gotten this far :)
I'd appreciate any advice about any of this.
Thanks!!
As for the water problems try contacting the health department and explain the situation to them and ask them to come check out the mold.

renterinohio

Thanks for your reply. So basically, we need to find a way for the lease to be completely terminated BEFORE the house gets sold, if we want to make sure we are out of the lease.
Yeah, we don't want to stay here a second longer than we have to. Like I said, we have an opportunity in another state, and we want to go asap.

We'll have to talk to him about that. I'm sure if we bring it up now, we can work something out.

acmb05

renterinohio said:
Thanks for your reply. So basically, we need to find a way for the lease to be completely terminated BEFORE the house gets sold, if we want to make sure we are out of the lease.
Yeah, we don't want to stay here a second longer than we have to. Like I said, we have an opportunity in another state, and we want to go asap.

We'll have to talk to him about that. I'm sure if we bring it up now, we can work something out.
If he is selling it as an income property/investment he could be advertising it as already rented/quaranteed income, in which case it may be a little difficult to get out of the lease early.

GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!!! No matter what the landlord SAYS get it in writing.

FarmerJ

Do not waste any more time call your city /county building inspections dept and health dept to get some one out there asap to document the conditions. If the damage warrants it the house will be condemned and your lease will be rendered useless because condemned means no one can live there, so any lease is over rode by govt authority saying no one can live there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">