• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkico99

What is the name of your state? Washington state

I recieved an email from my landlord asking if we might be interested in buying our house. We emailed back and told her that we were not sure because we were thinking about moving to Georgia when our lease is up at the end of August. But we aren't sure if we are going to do it. I asked if she could send us some information so we could dicuss it. She sent the information and asked us to get back to her soon because they would like to use the proceeds from this place to purchuse another. We looked at the info and relized that we wouldn't qualify for enough for our place. We are just curious what our rights will be if they sell the place. Can they opt out of our lease? and if so what do we get for it. And if they don't opt out and someone else takes over what happens then. I just want to know our rights as tenants. If anyone has some information that would be great. I just want to be ready if something does happen.

Thanks,
Nikki

wynnie4ever

I am in the exact same situation, Check your L/T laws but when new owners purchase a house with tenants the leases transfer over. The current landlord can buy you out or offer you an incentive (ie moving expenses or the $ for the remainder of the lease) Otherwise, The new owners have to honor your lease or take you to court to evict, or they can offer to buy you out or an incentive for you to move. You are under no obligation to move just because they are selling the house.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Washington state

I recieved an email from my landlord asking if we might be interested in buying our house. We emailed back and told her that we were not sure because we were thinking about moving to Georgia when our lease is up at the end of August. But we aren't sure if we are going to do it. I asked if she could send us some information so we could dicuss it. She sent the information and asked us to get back to her soon because they would like to use the proceeds from this place to purchuse another. We looked at the info and relized that we wouldn't qualify for enough for our place. We are just curious what our rights will be if they sell the place. Can they opt out of our lease? and if so what do we get for it. And if they don't opt out and someone else takes over what happens then. I just want to know our rights as tenants. If anyone has some information that would be great. I just want to be ready if something does happen.

Thanks,
Nikki

**A: your lease remains intact. If they want you to move out early negotiate a reasonable fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">