• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gdubcali

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My landlord is selling the rental house I have lived in for the past seven months. We had a six month lease that is now a month to month agreement. The landlord now wants to hold an open house broker tour, as well as a weekly open house for 4-5 hours on Sat or Sun. We have paid the rent in full for the month of July, and have not negotiated any sort of rent reduction for the inconvenience of these open houses. My understanding of the Cali law is that the landlord can give us 24 hour notice to enter the property to show it to prospective purchasers. Does that mean she can give us notice that she will be holding the house open for 4-5 hours every week. Our lease doesn't state anything regarding open house tours. I feel like this is a violation of my Quiet Enjoyment of the premises. These open houses are a nuisance, and is a major hindrance in my use and possession of the premises. Am I legally allowed to say no to these open house tours?

Gail in Georgia

Would you prefer to be given a 30 day notice to leave since, as a month to month renter this can be done without a specified reason?

Your landlord may come to the conclusion that it would be easier to show the home if there is no one living there.

What's the easiest thing for you?

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">