• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling the house Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatewitch

What is the name of your state? New York,
Mylandlord recenlty told me hes selling the house. i have had to give access to my home for open houses and contractors and bank represenatatives with most of the time less than 24 hours notice, and on several occasions with virtually no notice the land lords wife has also stated we are probably going to have to move becasue the new owner wants the house empty we now only have a verbal lease. for our small 3 bedroom apt. what are my rights i have legal proof we have lived there for over 4 years and now that the contract has been signed to the new owner do i still pay rent to the old landlord or save it in an account for the new one ? the bank is doing the final walk threw today at noon which i was told about only last night a 9pm. there has been no consideration or repsect for me as the tenant and i have been inconvience with last minute repairs with only a few minutes notice and change of dates for repairs so they could be done that minute, I have been told how to arrange my furniture in my house and how to display my belongings Are they looking at the house or interested in what color nightgown i wear? and i feel my rights are being violated the thing is this guy has only owned the house for 3 years and is now selling do i continue giveing him rent and hes withholding my last months rent recipt do copies of the cancelled checks count as proof that i paid him the rent? and can the new land lord evict me after taking my deposit ? is it possible to go to housing court and make them give me time to move and not pay rent in the process? 30-60-90 days ? while this transaction is going down? i am very angry and dont know what to do the new prospective owner seemed to only care that i have the 3 bedroom appt and that " my kids could share a room in a 2 bedroom apt"

BL

fatewitch said:
What is the name of your state? New York,
Mylandlord recenlty told me hes selling the house. i have had to give access to my home for open houses and contractors and bank represenatatives with most of the time less than 24 hours notice, and on several occasions with virtually no notice the land lords wife has also stated we are probably going to have to move becasue the new owner wants the house empty we now only have a verbal lease. for our small 3 bedroom apt. what are my rights i have legal proof we have lived there for over 4 years and now that the contract has been signed to the new owner do i still pay rent to the old landlord or save it in an account for the new one ? the bank is doing the final walk threw today at noon which i was told about only last night a 9pm. there has been no consideration or repsect for me as the tenant and i have been inconvience with last minute repairs with only a few minutes notice and change of dates for repairs so they could be done that minute, I have been told how to arrange my furniture in my house and how to display my belongings Are they looking at the house or interested in what color nightgown i wear? and i feel my rights are being violated the thing is this guy has only owned the house for 3 years and is now selling do i continue giveing him rent and hes withholding my last months rent recipt do copies of the cancelled checks count as proof that i paid him the rent? and can the new land lord evict me after taking my deposit ? is it possible to go to housing court and make them give me time to move and not pay rent in the process? 30-60-90 days ? while this transaction is going down? i am very angry and dont know what to do the new prospective owner seemed to only care that i have the 3 bedroom appt and that " my kids could share a room in a 2 bedroom apt"
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/tenants_rights_guide.html

24 hrs. notice is reasonable .

Read leases and month to month .

Leases transfer with NEW ownership .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">