• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling property, needs to delivery vacated property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BarryL

What is the name of your state? NH
I have a prospective buyer for my property, who insists on having the property vacated by my tenants within 60 days of the P&S. All my tenants have a year lease and most end May 2008. What can landlords do to encourage / ask a tenant to leave early - within the 60 days. I heard that tenants can be offered money or paid moving expenses if they agree to move early, but of course, they do not have to move. Are their any legal steps or what do people customarily do in these situations?

You can make an offer to your tenants (money or moving expenses, whatever you wish) contingent on all tenants moving out by a certain date and payable only after the tenants have vacated and returned the keys.

Hot Topic

You can do as has been suggested; however, as you're aware, you can't force the tenants out who don't wish to accept your offers. If your prospective buyer is going to be a landlord, either residential or commercial, he or she better learn the tenant/landlord rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">