• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord selling property tenant wants to break yearly lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfh10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My half-double house has been on the market for over a year. I finally got an offer, which was accepted and the sale is currently under contract. The buyers want to keep my current tenants which both have yearly leases ending in June-2011. The buyers have copies of my leases and are taking them into account to finalize the sale. I got a call from one of my tenants last night and he said that he made an offer on a house for himself, and wants to break his lease. My question is, if my buyers back out of the deal because of a tenant wants to get out of the lease, can I sue my tenant for lost sale of my house and breaking the lease? If yes, what I am entitled for? Any help is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My half-double house has been on the market for over a year. I finally got an offer, which was accepted and the sale is currently under contract. The buyers want to keep my current tenants which both have yearly leases ending in June-2011. The buyers have copies of my leases and are taking them into account to finalize the sale. I got a call from one of my tenants last night and he said that he made an offer on a house for himself, and wants to break his lease. My question is, if my buyers back out of the deal because of a tenant wants to get out of the lease, can I sue my tenant for lost sale of my house and breaking the lease? If yes, what I am entitled for? Any help is appreciated.
The fact that you are selling gives the tenant no right to break the lease. You can pursue all the "normal" remedies for a tenant who breaks a lease.
You're not going to get them for the lost sale of the house though...

xylene

If your buyers could walk, they could do so with or without the tenants staying or leaving. Then they are just 'interested'.

If the buyers are not performing on a contract then sue them.

You could not have written a legal contract that controls the tenants beyond the lease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">