+ Reply to Thread
    enid_97 is offline Junior Member

Landlord send me to a collection agency after a year

What is the name of your state? Florida/
    I broke the lease two months short from finishing the contract, my landlord send me a letter changing me crazy fees. I send a letter back to his disputing the charges since I left him my deposit and $85.00 to cover the month of June's rent. He rented the apartment the same month of June and now a year a four months later he wants to charge me for unpaid rent, breach of contract and no notice fees. I know that florida law he cannot charge for all that and further more not wait a year to respond and try to get this much money out of me. Can someone advice.
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    Wich court heard your former landlords claim ? Call the county court clerk of the county your former residence was in and look up your own name to learn if your former LL took you to court.
    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ
    Wich court heard your former landlords claim ? Call the county court clerk of the county your former residence was in and look up your own name to learn if your former LL took you to court.
    he has not taken me to court, and I do not think he can now since it has been so long.
    longneck is offline Member
    this is beyond the scope of this forum. post in the collections forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by longneck
    this is beyond the scope of this forum. post in the collections forum.
    What I really need to know is, if he can charge for all those fees when he rented the apartment the same month I moved out and if after a year of no response can he still want to get money for that. I am getting an attorney to fight it, but I want to know if what the LL is wanting to do leagal.
    longneck is offline Member
    it is generally accepted that since a lease is an agreement of exclusive use by the tenant, a LL may not collect rent for the same unit from two separate tenants. so yes, you should be able to fight it on that point. but it also sounds like they have inflated or falsified your debt to them, if there is any.

so that's why i think you need to talk to someone in the collections forum. they will have advice on how to make the collections agency prove you owe what they say you owe.
    Quote Originally Posted by longneck
    it is generally accepted that since a lease is an agreement of exclusive use by the tenant, a LL may not collect rent for the same unit from two separate tenants. so yes, you should be able to fight it on that point. but it also sounds like they have inflated or falsified your debt to them, if there is any.

so that's why i think you need to talk to someone in the collections forum. they will have advice on how to make the collections agency prove you owe what they say you owe.
    Thank you I did, I hope someone can advice me there because I do not think is right what he is doing.