• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord sold building without notifying tenants

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

madtenant

My landlord sold the building we live in and didn't tell us anything until the day of the closing(afterwards) now he claims that we are to pay him the rent for this month because it was "in the contract" with the new owners. He said that they paid the new owners my rent and now I have to give it back to them. My rent is due on the 15th - they closed on the 18th. I believe that I should pay to the new owners - it doesn't make sense for them to pay the new owners the rent - what do I do???

N

niradh

I would contact the new owners to verify what he is saying. Confirm with them that you are to pay him for this month instead of them.

HomeGuru

Send a certified letter to the former L confirming what he said and that until you receive written confirmation from the new owners as to the correct party to pay the rent to, you will hold the rent. Send a copy of the letter to the new owner.
Also request written confirmation as to who has your security deposit and the amount of same.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">